Backfin & Fin Style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomjinx:
Just as some paddle fins will backfin better than others, some split fins will too. They aren't all the same.
Which ones are good?

Splits are fairly popular in my area ... but I've yet to see anyone succeed at back kicking in them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well I must have a order of Crow....I have always assumed that Jetfins had to be akin to strapping on plywood....When I went to a new drysuit a couple of years ago the fin I was using would not fit as it was to big...so I started using some Quattros that my nephew had but never used...anyway this past weekend I borowed a pair of Jets to use on a dive to see for myself.... I was very surprised with the performance of the JetFins...the best way I can discribe it is they felt "smooth"....and backing up was much easier...than the Quattros...now the Quattros have better push at the top of the stroke than the Jets but overall I liked the Jets better.....now this next part is what will freak some people out....in overall feel,movement and smoothness the Jets remind me a lot of my overall favorite fin ....Force Fins....to me no fin is the perfect fin and I feel that the Jets are better due to the low end torque to get things moving in a drysuit and doubles...the Force fins are great for a wetsuit and singles or doubles but are not a great surface fin overall but would smoke the Jets if speed was needed. Of course freediving fins will give you super straight line speed if you have the legs...I will getting a pair of the Jets.....and retiring the Quattros as spares...

...some Kool-Aid with your crow? :wink:

NWGratefulDiver:
Which ones are good?

Splits are fairly popular in my area ... but I've yet to see anyone succeed at back kicking in them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In general, the stiffer, shorter split fins work best for alternate kicks like frog kick, back kick etc. The back kick technique that works for me in splits is different than what I use in my Jets, but it works well enough. I find it very useful when shooting pics or video.

As crazy as it sounds, Tusa Fullfoot Expert Zooms, which are my favorite travel fin because they are so light, will do a very nice back kick for me.

Interestingly, even some of the relatively soft splits are great for helicopter turns, though I use a different technique for this also than I would with my Jets or most paddle fins. To do a helicopter turn in a split fin I just point one fin out to the side and wiggle my foot. Because of the physics of how they work, it doesn't take much movement to generate thrust, and pivot around. Very easy to do.

I currently own about 8 pairs of fins, and have owned dozens, and tried many more. I bought most of them used, and after trying them and picking my favorites, I keep the ones I like around for loaners. If I loan a pair to someone and they like them, I will sell them if they aren't one of my favorites. I have SP Jets, Mares Quattros, Tusa FF splits, Aeris Splits, etc. I like light fins for travel, bright yellow fins for leading groups, long fins for freediving, etc. Interested in trying the Force Fins, as unusual as they look. People seem to either love them or hate them.

I have proven to myself (at least) with multiple timed runs that what a fin 'feels' like it is doing is often not true. Some fins offer a lot of resistance that makes them feel like they are generating a lot of thrust, but the speed just isn't there. Splits often 'feel' like they are not good in a current, but many of the ones I have tried work great in current. I have also found that taking the time to learn what kicks work best with a specific fin can dramatically affect the performance. Many times I have been fooled by my first impressions. I try to take a relatively scientific approach to evaluate my gear.

For me, there is no one perfect fin for every type of diving. If I was concentrating on one particular type of diving, I might be happy with one type of fin, but I like variety.

As always, YMMV

Safe diving, everyone.
Thomjinx

Oops.....I just realized this thread was in the DIR forum. I have blasphemed and will surely die!

My apologies. No offense was intended.

Well, the DIR answer is that shorter, stiffer fins work better for back and frog kick, so if you take the "splits" out of your answer, it's perfectly DIR!

I took Fundies in a pair of Razors, which are a long, flexible paddle fin. I could not get the frog kick at all the first day. On video, I could see why. When I loaded the fins, they just bent and spilled the water. I bought a pair of Jets that night, and used them the next day. Although I was convinced during the surface swim out that I had strapped concrete blocks to my feet and was going to drown, I found underwater that the frog kick was just instantly THERE. It was the proprioceptive feedback from the stiffness of the fins that made it possible.

I have seen people do an acceptable approximation of a frog kick in split fins, but it's inefficient. The fin is not designed to use that way. A relatively short, broad and stiff fin is recommended for DIR divers. It does not have to be a Scubapro Jet fin, but those and Turtles are what most of us end up using.

Rick Murchison:
Hmmm.... gotta see this technique...
Personally I use the top surface of the blade to "grab" the water and pull myself backwards. Like this :)
Of the fins I've played with, for backfinning alone, I'd rank the top three as
1) Aqualung Blades
2) Cressi Frog
3) ScubaPro Jets
.)other paddle fins
199) any split fin
'Course that's using my technique, which definitely ain't the "side of the fins."
Oops! Just noticed this is the DIR forum... if "side of the fins" is the correct DIR method and jets are the correct DIR fin by all means stick with 'em.
Rick

just explaining how i learned on the 5thD-X Intro to Tech video.....
"essentially you end up using the side of the fin blades to create the powerkick"

I appreciate your sarcasm though.....it helps alot.....

tampausmc:
just explaining how i learned on the 5thD-X Intro to Tech video.....
"essentially you end up using the side of the fin blades to create the powerkick"

I appreciate your sarcasm though.....it helps alot.....
Methinks they misrepresent the physics... and the facts. They may believe they're getting "the power" from the "side of the fin blades" but I seriously doubt it.
Sorry about the humor attempt... forgot where I was.
Rick

I recently was working with some people in the pool with skin gear, and was surprised to find that in skin gear it was actually easier to do it with no fins. Apparently, not having fins on makes it easier to extend my legs for the 'windup' without moving forward. The 'power' apparently comes from the calf and the foot moving through the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom