Backfin & Fin Style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was shown the backfin technique during a non-GUE course. I say "shown" because none of the students were able to perform it during or after the class. The instructor demonstrated the technique in the water. There was no dry land practice or individual coaching.

I wore paddle fins but they were long and flexible not Jet/Turtle style. The course outline for GUE-F states that any paddle fin can be worn. It it truly possible to backfin properly in any style paddle fin or is it much easier to perform wearing Jets/Turtles?

I heard it was possible to backfin EVEN using splits.... but I've never seen it done yet.... so I guess you can use ANY paddle fin.... it's the technique really...

If you knowhow to backwards kick, you can do it in pretty much any fin (or without any fins). I've not yet tried a fin I can't backkick in. (But I've also not tried every fin out there)

However getting the technique right with suboptimal fins is a lot harder. It's easy to learn if you are shown correctly how to do it, and your fins don't cause you too many problems.

HTH

John

I can backfin in doubles with no fins at all. I don't move very fast, but I move backwards. Jetfins and similar fins do help, but it can be done in any fins.

i've done it in tilos mavericks and dive rites, but it wasn't nearly as fast as when using jetfins. The push comes from the side of the fins and the jetfins have a wide stiff side rail.

goodeatsfan:
I heard it was possible to backfin EVEN using splits.... but I've never seen it done yet.... so I guess you can use ANY paddle fin.... it's the technique really...

It's inefficient and pointless to try a backward kick in splits. The blades don't grab the water well when backward kicking or even frog kicking. I've tried different kicsk in a pair of twin jets. They're mainly for people who bicycle kick and flutter kick.

tampausmc:
...The push comes from the side of the fins and the jetfins have a wide stiff side rail.
Hmmm.... gotta see this technique...
Personally I use the top surface of the blade to "grab" the water and pull myself backwards. Like this :)
Of the fins I've played with, for backfinning alone, I'd rank the top three as
1) Aqualung Blades
2) Cressi Frog
3) ScubaPro Jets
.)other paddle fins
199) any split fin
'Course that's using my technique, which definitely ain't the "side of the fins."
Oops! Just noticed this is the DIR forum... if "side of the fins" is the correct DIR method and jets are the correct DIR fin by all means stick with 'em.
Rick

Just as some paddle fins will backfin better than others, some split fins will too. They aren't all the same.

..and I though I was going to see a diver doing a back kick!

Great video though.

I've been "playing" with the back kick in the pool wearing my SP Jets. I'm "shrimp dancing" though. I go backwards but, I go up and backwards. Still more practice needed.

Michael

mwhities:
I've been "playing" with the back kick in the pool wearing my SP Jets. I'm "shrimp dancing" though. I go backwards but, I go up and backwards. Still more practice needed.
At least you are past the stage of "A monkey humping a football"

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom