Back Plate Bend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDan

Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the bend in a back plate for when you use double tanks. Why not have someone like FredT make a back plate just for singles by either taking the bend out or make the bend half the depth. You would probably need to adjust the width of the back plate to compensate for the less bend or no bend.

The reason I ask this is because some complain the bend in the back plate puts a single tank to far back for them.

What do you think?

Which bend are you talking about? There are several on a BP. I use single tanks with a FredT BP without the STA and I don't feel my tank is "to far back" at all.

My first rig had an aluminum plate, it was sort of triangular in shape , slightly curved & had a couple of sets of slots for the giant hose clamps. That was over 35 years ago, so much for backplates being a "new" invention. :wink:

If you measure the offset on a backplate as worn, you'll see that it contributes to "about" an extra inch standoff (I just measured, got between 3/4" & 1"), not that much to be concerned about when you consider that you'd be making the BP unuseable for doubles (unless ya put some countersunk holes on the inside of the plate)

Actually,

It is possible to purchase an old style plastic backpack which is contured for a single tank. These only cost about $40-$50. It could be combined with a Northern Diver X wing (about $180 plus shipping from UK) to make a minimalist single tank rig.

Dee once bubbled...
Which bend are you talking about? There are several on a BP. I use single tanks with a FredT BP without the STA and I don't feel my tank is "to far back" at all.

Well I know there are several bends that make up the channel that goes down the middle of the B/P that is the "Bend" I'm talking about. Sounds like most don't have a problem as long as they don't use a STA.

Thanks

FredT makes a SHORTER place but I don't know if it's NARROWER if that's what you're asking...

Roak

The purpose for the "channel bend" is to provide somewhere for the bolts stubs and wing nuts to go when diving singles with a STA or diving doubles besides into your spine. The angle of the rest of the plate "tank and wing support" provides or stability of the doubles and makes for the available space for storage between the plate and the back. This angle also helps center the rig on your back and stabilize the system along your axis. The Halcyon storage pack is one way to do this. Homegrown versions are easily created with Lycra and a pair of old blue jeans, or an old wet suit and a razor blade as well. A deeper "V" on the plate allows for more storage space and better nesting of doubles.

I can easily provide a "flat plate" with no channel for those who want to use it with a STA-less system, but without some channel the Halcyon integrated won't work, and something has to used to hold the wing to the plate during tank changes.

My current short plate is the same width as the long one, because without that feature the storage pack Halcyon makes won't work effectively, thus compromising the "universal" capability of the plate. There is no problem creating a longer, shorter, wider, narrower, etc plate if it's necessary, the important thing as far as I'm concerned is that everyone understands the design tradeoffs involved. Sometime between now and July I need to create a plate that is both considerably shorter and considerably narrower than even my small standard, with a custom tank mounting system for a VERY petite lady diver. I measured her, her gear, and developed an understanding for what she needed in the diving she does. We discussed the tradeoffs for a couple hours and defined the envelope. Now I need to find a method to produce it. "Standard" plate forming tools are marginal for the required design. She doesn't need it until July so I do have some time to get creative.

Be aware my signature means what it says. If a standard plate doesn't do what you want, e-mail me and we can talk about what you need, or think you need. About 80% of the time those inquiring about a custom job are overlooking something. By talking about it a bit we may find that I, or another manufacturer, already make a standard product that fits the bill. IMNSHO There is no need to pay me, or anyone else, the premium $s necessary for a custom job if a standard will fit. If we can't come up with a suitable 'standard" product, the time isn't wasted as the discussion will define the design parameters for the custom work.

FT

I would definitely encourage talking to Fred about what you want/need in a backplate. After buying his Heavy BP/STA set I wanted something with minimal channel since I only dive singles. After going back and forth Fred offered to rebend the plate that I do have for a reasonable cost to the specifications that I was looking for. I have gone a different route since then but it was a pleasure talking with Fred and listening to his advice - it was certainly cheaper than purchasing many different backplates. Fred could have easily sold me another backplate with a smaller channel but he encouraged me to wait while he figured out a better (cheaper) method with my existing plate.

If I haven't told you already, I appreciate what you did for me Fred - thanks!

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom