Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plough

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Dear Fellow Divers,

Im trying to build a BP/W setup for me and my Girl Friend. I'm 5'9 and my GF is 5'2" Let me first tell you that I have very limited source for diving equipment here in the Philippines. I was gunning already for a SP Hydros and thank God I found the thread about BP/W.

Also im not a fanboy of any Brand, so Im ok with mix and match setup as long as its works and very realible and cost effective.

Did a research for about 2-3weeks now regarding this, but I still want to get your opinions and knowledge about the setup im thinking.

Let me break down to you what I find so far.

Back Plate:

H9309ed9cb3cb434dac83c278ebec5497P.jpg

Ha0749b2250f641239eebcde1964f787bX.jpg

This is an OEM i believe of OMS hence the similarities with the design with few difference. its an SS316 Material and cost $80 (free shipping here to PH) from a known chinese online store. This is a 2.2KG SS.

Will this also be appropriate for my GF who's height is 5'2"?

Wings:

I really like the Dive Rite Voyager XT (BC5200). I like the Idea of the Integrated Gusset Control System to which OMS doesnt have.

I am just concerned with the Inflator if this is replaceble if in case it gets damage and if its easy to DIY maintain.

Harness:

This is where I kinda having difficulty in choosing. I like the idea of OMS SmartStream Harness System, but it is too expensive for just a webbing. Is there any other similar system that you can recommend? Or are there DIY system where I can just buy a continous webbing that would produce similar result?

Weighting System:

I like the Idea of SS Hydros quick release system but of course its too expensive. Hopefully you guys can suggest similar but effective reliable system.

I do dive with 12-13pounds of weight, will my system be enought to just carry the weight of Backplate or do I still need few pounds? How much should I be integrating with BP/W setup im building?

Cam Strap:

I like the Idea of the SS Cinch System. any other suggestion?

STA:

Do I still need one? (sorry for the stupid question)

Hopefully you guys can help me build my first BP/W..

Thank

-Henry

the plate may be a bit long for your girlfriend
the inflators are largely universal within the wing world so there isn't a lot to be concerned about there.
The voyager wing is likely far too large though. IIRC the Philippines water temp is high 70's-low 80's so you won't be in thick wetsuits and I don't believe you guys use much other than AL80's in terms of tanks. The Travel wing will be a much more appropriate size for you.

Harness-I wouldn't get anything from OMS anyway, but I would just use a standard one piece harness. I wouldn't DIY though as the webbing is surprisingly critical for proper fit and function.

Weight-I just use a standard weight belt or more ideally a rubber freediving belt. The quick release systems are really annoying to me and I don't see the value in integrated weights. With a SS plate you will drop down to 4-6lbs from your current weighting and that is not bad to deal with a normal weight belt with the added benefit of being easier to change tanks on a boat.

Cam bands-I prefer normal ones, but that doesn't really matter. If you don't change your tank size often *i.e. almost always 7.25" tanks* then you only need to set it once and largely don't need to adjust them that often *typically once at the start of a trip for me* so I just use standard cam bands, but it's what I'm used to and have them around

I really like the Dive Rite Voyager XT (BC5200). I like the Idea of the Integrated Gusset Control System to which OMS doesnt have.
At least it's external, so easy to get rid of.

take a look at VDH or DGX for the wing

Store | Vintage Double Hose

DGX Singles Wing - 30lb lift | Dive Gear Express®

if you get a wing with roll control bars, you won't need the sta either. most single tank wings these days come with them ... except dive rite. dive rite tends to wobble if you don't use a sta.

your GF likely will be better off with a short plate

Oxcheq Stainless Steel Backplate -- Small

Cave Adventurers - Oxycheq small backplate - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

get a few threadable weight pockets to add the couple pounds of weight you still need.

If you go with a dive rite wing, either the voyager or the smaller travle wing you can save some money and get the exp versio instead of the xt version....unless you are doing wreck penetrations or cave diving but then you would probably be using a double setup with a different wing all together.

I have a voyager exp and a voyager xt...the xt is nice but not necessary for the type of diving I do, I have it because I got the xt first.

-Z

Another vote for either the vdh wings or dgx 30. Both are great choices.

for a plate for your girlfriend you probably want a short plate or softplate

These are some that offered small plates:
DSS Kydex (good luck finding one, I got lucky and got a used one here for my daughter)
Halcyon
Oxycheq
Freedom Plate (long wait-list and people hardly ever sell them)

Oxycheq makes a softplate that would be appropriate as well

Here is a thread discussing options:

Smallest backplate on the market?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom