back into diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lmghsowl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got my ow cert about 2 years, and then returned to my undergrad in upstate NY where I found few divers and then got busy and haven't really dove since. I've finished my undergrad work and have moved south and are looking at getting into diving again.

I'm planning on visiting one of the local dive shops just to check it out soon. My grad school has a dive club where I can rent/borrow gear, so right now buying my own regs/bc ect isn't a real high priority, just getting under again is.

Other than getting involved in the dive club and visiting some of the shops, do you people have any suggestions for getting back into the sport?

Thanks
lmghsowl

Plan the time... to take the time...

to join in the dive club's activities. Clean-ups, pumpkin carving, underwater games... anything! Make it a social occasion- meet other divers- they're a unique bunch.

People is what makes it addictive. That and the Nitrogen.

Ask your local dive shop about getting some pool time in with a dive master or instructor. If you haven't been out since your cert you'll do better with a refresher both in terms of confidence and skills.

Al

I second taking a refresher. It'll be about $50-$100 (plus rental) and it's well worth it. Granted, it feels lke OW all over again, but you'll have a chance to refresh your skills.

Okay, a follow up question.

I went to the dive shop a couple of days ago and talked with some of their staff (I can't wait to get under again). The person I talked to suggested that instead of doing the refresher that I go ahead and do my AOW, because it won't cost that much more plus I get the higher cert. I had put off doing my AOW because I had wanted to get some more experience as an OW before moving on, which I haven't gotten do to my former location.

I know this shop does offer most of the PADI specilties and I was almost thinking of trying to do peak boyancy control as my refresher. I know it won't cover all the information but being boyancy control is one of the harder skills to master and I needed I was thinking that might be an option. It would give me help in an area that I know I need help with plus give me another card which might count towards something later.

Any thoughts?

lmghsowl:
... but being boyancy control is one of the harder skills to master and I needed I was thinking that might be an option. It would give me help in an area that I know I need help with plus give me another card which might count towards something later.

Buoyancy control is the skill to master.

The rest of the "cards" are amusing, but without perfected buoyancy, you're going no-where fast.

Don't worry about courses and cards, concentrate on diving a lot, gaining information and experience with each dive. The AOW card doesn't allow you any extra stuff in reality, it does prepare you for the dive world beyond what you might know.

Look towards "Rescue Diver" at some point soon. Those are some useful skills that are best gained in a structured environment such as a class.

I'd say do the AOW, and have the instructor help you and give you tips on buoyancy during that course. I've yet to see an instructor say "sorry I can't help you with that, because this isn't the course where you learn that". I'm sure the PPB course will be useful, but I still think the best cure for buoyancy issues is diving, and friendly tips from instructors and other skilled divers. I just finished my Rescue, and I agree that is one of the best classes I could have taken. Very very informative and useful, and you do need your AOW before you can take Rescue.

Jim

Thanks for the replies.

My main concern right now is that being it's been so long since I dove and my skills were still in need of a lot of practice, I thinking I need some sort of instruction before I start seriously diving. I'm not really worried about getting cards or certs, but if I'm going to pay for training, I would like it to count towards something. I'm also a bit leary of going on after hearing stories since I started diving of people in higher courses who still hadn't mastered the basic skills.

I guess my question really is, would the peak boyancy control speciality be a suitable refressure?

I can't do much either way till the school year starts in a couple of weeks and I offically join the school dive club, because I don't have gear right now.

again, thanks for the input

lmghsowl:
Thanks for the replies.
I guess my question really is, would the peak boyancy control speciality be a suitable refressure?

I can't do much either way till the school year starts in a couple of weeks and I offically join the school dive club, because I don't have gear right now.

again, thanks for the input

Suggest you do a refresher before PPB. Trying to substitute PPB for a refresher is a good way to accomplish not too much in either area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom