Back Inflation BCDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me the most important quality is fit. If the BC fits well then you will be fine, if it doesn't then you will have some minor problems like a tank instability or having the BC ride up.

How can you have proper fit, when the fit of a jacket BCD changes as it is used?

Proper fit is much, much more complicated in a jacket BCD. Adding or subtracting air to the BCD changes the fit, because the air cell surrounds the diver's torso. The diver adds air to enter the water - the BCD is tight. When they descend, they release air... and the BCD becomes loose and floppy... so they experience instability. I don't see many divers in jacket BCDs re-adjusting their straps relative to their addition/subtraction of air. Most just accept that sloppy fit and the consequences it brings. Novice divers accept that sensation as being 'the norm for beginners', when it really shouldn't be. Over time, they get used to it - instability becomes the norm. As experience grows, they establish a skill-set to compensate for that instability.

Back-mount/BP&W BCDs eradicate that problem. Adding or subtracting air doesn't influence fit. The air cell is behind the diver, not surrounding their torso.

BCDs IMO are massively over-rated in terms of 'defining' the diving experience especially when wearing 3mm suits. Jacket or Back Inflate- BCDs serve a simple purpose- compensate for the extra 5lb or so that you'll want so as to remain comfortable while doing a safety stop (with a depleted tank). Often divers are overweighted and when wearing belts the body wants to sink and you end up with your BCD around the ears.

If you're overweighted then you need a lot more inflation to keep you at the surface.

Personally I use a Sequest back inflate. I 'chose' this as it was in the attic of a diving center I worked in, mouldering away and I got it for a steal. Before that I had a Mares Vector jacket BCD.

KISS. It works.

Last edited:
How can you have proper fit, when the fit of a jacket BCD changes as it is used?

Proper fit is much, much more complicated in a jacket BCD. Adding or subtracting air to the BCD changes the fit, because the air cell surrounds the diver's torso. The diver adds air to enter the water - the BCD is tight. When they descend, they release air... and the BCD becomes loose and floppy... so they experience instability. I don't see many divers in jacket BCDs re-adjusting their straps relative to their addition/subtraction of air. Most just accept that sloppy fit and the consequences it brings. Novice divers accept that sensation as being 'the norm for beginners', when it really shouldn't be. Over time, they get used to it - instability becomes the norm. As experience grows, they establish a skill-set to compensate for that instability.

Back-mount/BP&W BCDs eradicate that problem. Adding or subtracting air doesn't influence fit. The air cell is behind the diver, not surrounding their torso.

I recently switched to a back inflate (Aqualung Libra) after many years of diving with a jacket. NO problems whatsoever being "face down on the surface" - never happened, and it definitely feels more streamlined. Very happy with the switch. I do find seemingly occasional air pockets stay in which I am getting used to purging., and I notice I am dumping water out after dives.

I have tried the AL Dimension and i really liked it, felt really well built and good fit. But i didn't like it enough to change it since my Mares Pegasus feels less bulky (and a lot cheaper but since i already own it doesn't quite matter for me) and weights less. This is a pretty important factor since i have been traveling quite a few miles with my bcd in the luggage.

I'd go for back inflatable 8 out of 7 days a week!

Don't over think this. The back inflate will not push your face down in the water. Sometimes there are just tooooooo many choices.

K-I-S-S

This really depends on the BC doesn't it? Some of the newer jacket BCs expand outward, away from the diver, so the fit will be constant. However even with an older BC fit is still important, I always started the dive with tight BC without any air. This may have reduced the lift of the BC but most BCs have more lift than needed anyway. I have only experienced squeeze when fully inflating the BC on the surface.

Also the fit of any BC will change depending on the wetsuit used. If you are wearing a thick wetsuit the suit compression will make any BC ill fitting. I would always readjust the weight belt and the BC at depth when diving wet. Perhaps dry suit divers don't have this issue.

You will be hard pressed to find a nicer BC than the Dimension i3. It's the most comfortable I've used in 20 years.

They just do.

Just like it says in the catalog.:wink:

Comfortability is what i was saying helps me make up my mind. And my jacket bc I would guesstimate the like 90% of the air is on my back with just a little coming across sides. And im sure theres others out the that have thw comfort ways. But I dive receationally my Mares Dragon is what i use to suit my comfort needs.

I have not met many people that want to where a size 5 pink high heel just cause that is what the fad is going to. For me its all about what best suits me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom