Back inflate vs BP and wings ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cherry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok I've read the posts but what is the difference and or advantages of one vs the other? I have decieded for my own purposes to move away from a jacket style just dont like the squeeze on the surface. With the Jacket I just dont ever wanna come up....no wait I think I would feel that way anyway :) but seriously I am really considering the two most likely Halcyon or Seaquest Help?

Cherry once bubbled...
Ok I've read the posts but what is the difference and or advantages of one vs the other?
What specifically did the post you read not address... since the previous post haven't answered your questions I don't want to take a chance on missing the mark again... what specifically are you looking for?

I have both, a Seaquest Balance and a Halcyon 36 pound wing. The biggest difference that I can see is the Halcyon provides more flexibility at the cost of being harder to set up. You can take the Balance out of the box pull the straps tight and be ready to go. I spent two hours a day for three days adjusting the harness on the BP& W and I’m still tweaking it. However, after spending that time, the d-rings are where I want them and the weight pouches are where I want them while there’s no adjustability with the Balance.

I also like the doughnut shape of the Halcyon bladder better than the horseshoe shape of the Balance bladder. The horseshoe shape allows air to get trapped in one side with a head down orientation. Not that it’s a big deal, you learn to go vertical to dump air and it becomes automatic.

The Balance has more padding and that causes more drag, the first difference I noticed when I got in the water with the Halcyon is that it took less effort to start moving.

I think that you have made a wise choice going to back inflation, but I caution you that it is going to feel strange at first and it will likely take a few dives to get your buoyancy control back to where it is now. If you are expecting to strap on a BP&W and swim like a dolphin you are apt to be sorely disappointed. But at least in my case it was worth the effort.

Which is better for you the Seaquest or the Halcyon? I think that depends on how often you dive. If you only go on a couple of trips a year I recommend the Seaquest, it works well out of the box. However, if you’re addicted to diving like I am, I recommend the Halcyon. It’s a pain in the ass to set up but once you get it, it’s well worth the effort. Whichever you choose make sure you get some pool/quarry time before you go on a trip or you might spend the trip getting use to it rather than looking at the scenery.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom