Back Inflate BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive used both a back-inflate BC and BP/Ws with a variety of weighting (integrated & belt with the BC, belt with the BP/W) and have never been uncomfortably pushed face forward. And I generally have the bladder completely full.

I previously used a jacket style BC and I do remember "riding higher" on the surface, so yes, by comparison, back-inflate BC may have you more face forward, but its never been a problem for me.

I use a back inflate (Hydros Pro) too, and initially had that same issue. I agree with others that you get used to it, but I also found that shifting some of your weights to the trim pockets, in back, helps too...

Back inflates don't push you forward. Improper and over weighting does that. I also have an 11 page essay on back inflate/backplate and wing style BC set up, use, weighting, and options that I send to anyone who gives me an email address. It's too big to post here or send via private message.
harlyridr_01@yahoo.com thank you for the info!

Does anyone have advice for using a back inflate BC? I have only used jacket style, live in Montana with very limited availability to rent/use gear. I know back inflate tends to roll face forward on the surface. Tips or hints to minimize this are much appreciated.
What part of MT?

I think instead of denying that some people have issues with back inflate BCDs pushing them forward, which can definitely happen, it would be more constructive to say it should not happen with correct inflation, weighting and weight distribution.

When I was a new diver I rented a back inflate BCD to quarry dive in a 5/7 wetsuit. I'm a big guy, and with that thick of a suit I had over 20 lbs. of lead on my front and an aluminum 80cf on my back. And being new, I over inflated on the surface and absolutely could not keep from having my face thrown into the water -- even trying to lean back hard. I probably inflated even more thinking it would help, and (obviously now) it didn't.

This caused a lot of anxiety, and I had to just swim for the ladder/stairs because I could not keep my head up. I'm sure it would be quite hilarious for experienced divers to see, but I did not know any better at the time -- and I'm sure that plenty of new divers could have the same problem.

So, rather than tell people it's a myth that back-inflates or BP/W push you forward (it's not) it would be more constructive to say that it shouldn't happen if used properly, meaning that:
  • People shouldn't over-inflate;
  • Related to that, people shouldn't expect a back inflate to hold you as high in the water as a jacket BCD (so stop inflating);
  • Lean back;
  • Weight should be distributed so not all of it is in front (put some in back);
  • Having too much lead in general can contribute to the problem;
  • etc.
I know most people on here love BP/W, but let's not deny that new divers can have issues with back-inflates or BP/W if they don't know how to use them correctly. I'm sure the general concern of tipping forward had to come from somewhere -- and I'm guessing it probably comes from people like me who tried them when inexperienced, over-weighted, and over-inflated.

I think instead of denying that some people have issues with back inflate BCDs pushing them forward, which can definitely happen, it would be more constructive to say it should not happen with correct inflation, weighting and weight distribution.

When I was a new diver I rented a back inflate BCD to quarry dive in a 5/7 wetsuit. I'm a big guy, and with that thick of a suit I had over 20 lbs. of lead on my front and an aluminum 80cf on my back. And being new, I over inflated on the surface and absolutely could not keep from having my face thrown into the water -- even trying to lean back hard. I probably inflated even more thinking it would help, and (obviously now) it didn't.

This caused a lot of anxiety, and I had to just swim for the ladder/stairs because I could not keep my head up. I'm sure it would be quite hilarious for experienced divers to see, but I did not know any better at the time -- and I'm sure that plenty of new divers could have the same problem.

So, rather than tell people it's a myth that back-inflates or BP/W push you forward (which is not true, and could lead to injury) it would be more constructive to say that it shouldn't happen if used properly, meaning that:
  • Related to that, people shouldn't expect a back inflate to hold you as high in the water as a jacket BCD (so stop inflating);
  • Lean back;
  • etc.
I know most people on here love BP/W, but let's not deny that new divers can have issues with back-inflates or BP/W if they don't know how to use them correctly. I'm sure the general concern of tipping forward had to come from somewhere -- and I'm guessing it probably comes from people like me who tried them when inexperienced, over-weighted, and over-inflated.

Someone could interpret this guidance as meaning that a back inflate bC should not be filled to capacity at the surface - due to this problem. This is very ambiguous advice..

• What percentage of the BC capacity should be used at the surface?
  • Do we need to buy a considerably larger back inflate wing capacity so as to not exceed the maximum (suggested, I guess) inflation percentage? In other words if we need 30 lbs of lift and the recommended inflation percentage is 66%, then do we need a 40 lb wing capacity so that we can use, (for example) the 66%.
  • Also, how does the new (or any diver) monitor the degree of inflation at the surface so that they do not experience the problems with "over-inflation". Is this a specialty that needs to be taught?
The issue of "leaning back" -
How does that work in open ocean conditions with waves and wind and whitecaps slapping the diver around? Is that an effective tool in those types of situations - not talking about a flat clam quarry.

Does the diver lean back into the waves or do they face them?
If the diver needs to spins 360 degrees at the surface to look for dangerous boat traffic or other hazards, how does this leaning back work?
Won't this require extra effort on the surface to fight the motion of the waves as the diver tries to lean back?

So, rather than tell people it's a myth that back-inflates or BP/W push you forward (which is not true, and could lead to injury) it would be more constructive to say that it shouldn't happen if used properly, meaning that:
  • Lean back;
  • etc.
100% as a new diver I had this issue. After I as my instructor about it he told me to deflate it a little and lean back. Now its like a lazy boy…😉

I dive an Aqua Lung Dimension. I found if I put a few pounds in my trim pockets ie 2 lbs each side it did not push me forward unless I had way too much air in the bladder. Dove a AL HD before I"ll never go back to a jacket.

I started diving with a jacket type BCD. Switched over to a Zeagle Covert with a back wing about 400 dives ago. I was just on a dive trip in Coz with a new diver with a wing BCD. She was struggling on the surface...fighting and kicking. She said her BCD was malfunctioning.

I told her to go "Full Sea Otter." Roll over on your back like the otters do when they are on the surface. "Going Otter" changed her SCUBA life:)

Best of luck to you

Someone could interpret this guidance as meaning that a back inflate bC should not be filled to capacity at the surface - due to this problem. This is very ambiguous advice..

• What percentage of the BC capacity should be used at the surface?
  • Do we need to buy a considerably larger back inflate wing capacity so as to not exceed the maximum (suggested, I guess) inflation percentage? In other words if we need 30 lbs of lift and the recommended inflation percentage is 66%, then do we need a 40 lb wing capacity so that we can use, (for example) the 66%.
  • Also, how does the new (or any diver) monitor the degree of inflation at the surface so that they do not experience the problems with "over-inflation". Is this a specialty that needs to be taught?
The issue of "leaning back" -
How does that work in open ocean conditions with waves and wind and whitecaps slapping the diver around? Is that an effective tool in those types of situations - not talking about a flat clam quarry.

Does the diver lean back into the waves or do they face them?
If the diver needs to spins 360 degrees at the surface to look for dangerous boat traffic or other hazards, how does this leaning back work?
Won't this require extra effort on the surface to fight the motion of the waves as the diver tries to lean back?
It’s really a non-issue if you don’t fully inflate.

Let’s not over complicate things, you just need to inflate until you are sufficiently out of the water and lean inclined on your back a bit. You don’t need exact percentages: it’s just that when you stand vertical the air will migrate to the top of the pocket and the bottom which is in the water won’t be full …

If you use, for example, a backplate and wing and fully inflate it and lean forwards, yes it will push you back.

But once someone explains to you that you can lean backwards and not fully inflate it, it’s pretty easy to find the right balance intuitively. Also it’s not an issue even with waves, it’s not like you are in a very unstable or hard to sustain position …

Back
Top Bottom