Back inflate BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey FirasR,

No I don't but I'm using a wetsuit here in California. I'm thinking it may ride up because you are in a rash guard which gets slick against other nylon material. The wetsuit grabs it. I also use the 1 pound (approximately .5 kilo) weight in the tiny hidden pouch on the back of the BC under the wing too. That may help.

I love how adjustable it is too, I have 44 inch chest and 32 inch waist and never find ANYTHING to fit me right. I did have an issue with the SureLock handles sticking, make sure when you dunk those that you work the mechanism back and forth or you won't feel and hear the click when you put the weighted pouches in place for a dive. I mainly use a weight belt anyway, but noticed that was an issue anytime I used the integrated weight pockets.

Hey @HBVetera n2312 , thanks for your feedback and tips. I might try getting one of those hybrid rash guard/neoprene rash guards and see if it helps with the riding up until it gets cold enough to dive with a wetsuit (or end up custom tailoring a crotch strap for it). I'm still playing with weight distribution between the main weight pockets and the trim pockets and I'm also working on fine tuning my buoyancy so I'm reducing weights with almost every dive so have not settled on a final weight (started at 12 lbs, grossly over-weighted I know but I'm down to 6 lbs so far, my instructor's goal is to get me to 0 lbs for summer ocean diving).

1. Hydros

2. Seahawk

3. Ranger LT.
i use the ScubaPro Litehawk 2, so far, it fits me quite well.

As this thread was resurrected, here comes an update: I bought the Apeks Black Ice, sold it after 50 dives and I have been diving a BPW for the past 2 years.

As this thread was resurrected, here comes an update: I bought the Apeks Black Ice, sold it after 50 dives and I have been diving a BPW for the past 2 years.
well, what brand, and how do you like it? lets get a big update!

I have a Tecline Donut 13 Kg wing with continuous harness, steel BP, cambands and STA. I am never going back to a BCD.

I am never going back to a BCD.

What a shame, there are several out there that are very comfortable, stable, versatile, pack very compact and light and very durable.

Still, since I switched to (balanced rig) BP/W I would really not be looking forward to diving in something that has more clutter on the sides, let alone jacket-style wrap-around bladder BCD. A lightweight travel wing maybe, but the lack of weight in the plate itself will have to be compensated with extra weights. With my current steel backplate I only need 2 extra kg in trim pockets. But if I need 2 to 3 more kg if I don't have that steel backplate, I will need some more weight pockets with the risk of cluttering up my sides again...

What a shame, there are several out there that are very comfortable, stable, versatile, pack very compact and light and very durable.

Why would I go back if a BPW provides all that and more? I am not trying to start an argument here, just answering the question on whether I like it :)

Why would I go back if a BPW provides all that and more? I am not trying to start an argument here, just answering the question on whether I like it :)

I am not trying to start an argument either. I am merely pointing out that one needs to keep their options open and not dismiss anything out right. I own BP/W, Jackets, backinflate and I use each one of them for different purposes. I have one specific SP jacket that is very sturdy, stable and durable for diving when I am swimming out from shore for longer distances, it is the best for this purpose compared with other options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom