Back inflate BCD as a beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever you have you probably won't be satisfied, because you requirements and ambitions change. At first I was quite happy with ill fitting rental gear, It was great being able to dive at all even down to just 6 or 7m with a guide. Then I wanted something more comfortable, better fitting and mine so I did not waste part of the dive getting used to the gear or guessing weights. Then I wanted more diving without a guide so I did Ow to dive with friends and go down to 18m Having done that I realised I now wanted to go deeper than 18m to look at wrecks so I took deep diving qualification (40m). I then found my BCD and single tank set up was not a ideal as a compact BP&W with twins. I have not changed to BP&W/twins yet because I now realize I cant stay down long enough on tanks and a CCR would be better. If I ended up with CCR & trimix I would probably get bored on the decompression stops and want a diving bell with canteen and TV.
I couldn’t find this bell you are talking about on EBay, do you have a link ? :D

I have a back inflate (Scubapro Nighthawk). You will learn the quirks of your gear, so there really isn’t a lot of difference if you are a new diver. Zeagle Ranger has an excellent rep, so you will probably get a ton of use out of it. The only transitional problem is to learn not to over inflate it on the surface (most people who don’t like back inflates are over inflating it on the surface and complain it pitches them forward).
I used to deliberately over inflate mine on the surface and then kick like crazy for a couple seconds to get as far out of the water as I could and then just fall backwards and chill lying on my back with everything from my waist up above the surface.

Here's a bloke in a bc

full.jpg

Here's a bloke in a plate

full.jpg

Here's a bloke in a ranger

full.jpg

And here's a speck, the one in the back with the gorilla arms, in a plate with doubles and a bottle low slung

full.jpg

Same bloke, same ocean, same year

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom