Back inflate BCD as a beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear good things about the Ranger. However, I will say that as a very new diver I used a vest-style BCD for my first 7 dives, and then rented a Back-Inflate for my next 2. I absolutely hated the back inflate, as I could never stop myself from going face-down into the water at the surface. From reading some online, perhaps I had too much air in the wing. So, while I'm willing to try it again, I personally wouldn't buy a Back Inflate without at least trying one in a pool first to see how you like it.

I absolutely hated the back inflate, as I could never stop myself from going face-down into the water at the surface. From reading some online, perhaps I had too much air in the wing.
I will almost guarantee it.

I used a back inflate (Ranger) for about 5 years before I read that they put you face down on the surface. That was news to me. I had never had a hint of such a problem. Then I used another back inflate (ScubaPro Nighthawk), and then I used backplates and wings--all back inflate. I never had a problem on the surface,

until...

I was working with some advanced students in a swimming pool, and for an exercise I was doing with them, I had several weight belts with weights at the bottom of the pool. When we were done with the class, I had to pick them all up. Rather than do it one at a time, I did what you should never do outside of a pool exercise--I grabbed them all and just jacked my wing full of air so I could swim them all to the surface. Once on the surface, I set the weight belts on the side of the pool, turned around, and flopped onto my face.

Yep! Overfill a wing like that and you will flop on your face. On the other hand, until that magic moment, I had done well over 1,000 dives without that experience, and I have never done it again.

I dive a Ranger and would only do back inflate styles. I've got some minor complaints about it, but nothing that would prevent me from grabbing a deal on a newer one. (My old one has one or two fewer dump valves than the current version.)

However, diving with a newly-certified diver that had some anxiety issues I found the back inflate was disconcerting on the surface. When you need to talk on the surface, it has a slight tendency to push your face into the water. For that one person, I'd discourage back-inflate for now.

My boys and I all use the Zeagle Stiletto. It’s a back inflate with less lift than the Ranger and also only single tank capacity. Been certified about 18 months and we’ve used the Stiletto since our first OW check out dives. Have about 45 dives on it and never had any face down issues on the surface. I’ve been happy with the Zeagle.

Do you guys think I should go for it, or wait until I've dived more? I like the ripcord weight system but I'm still very new to back inflate BCDs and am worried it's not the style I'll end up liking.
There are really two parts to your question: 1) buy a back-inflation BCD; 2) buy a Zeagle Ranger. To the first - YES, go for it. It (back-inflation) is where you will very likely want to be in the future if you become a diver. The chances that it will be 'not the style I'll end up liking' are quite small. As to the second, there are pros and cons. The Ranger is an excellent BCD, in terms of materials and workmanship. My first BCD was a Ranger and I loved it - it fit like a finely tailored sportcoat and was very comfortable in the water. I still have it ~ 16 years later, but haven't dove it in a long time. The downside is that the standard bladder (44 lbs) has far more lift than you need for single cylinder diving, even if you are diving cold water, with a thick exposure suit, requiring ample amounts of lead. That extra lift capacity sounds like a good thing, but it isn't. It means that you can have a small air bubble floating around in the underfilled bladder, making trim optimization very challenging. In additional, it is a fabric BCD - it is positively buoyant, and you 'pay the price' for that buoyancy by the need to add lead to compensate.

If you are offered a truly great deal - and for me a 'great deal' on a used Ranger would have to be $125 or less on a unit that it is very good condition - in that case it would be worth it. A 'great deal', by the way, is NOT a $350 price on a used Ranger simply because 'it sells new for $790, so you are paying less than half price!'. You can do MUCH better.

If it's a good enough deal, go for it. If you don't like it, you can always pass it on to someone else.

I didn't like back inflate BC for the pool sessions and first couple dives during my OW course. Once I got used to it (don't over-inflate it or you'll face-plant
on the surface) I learned to like it.

I ended up getting used to and purchasing the BP/W that I initially didn't like (change of heart).

, as I could never stop myself from going face-down into the water at the surface. From reading some online, perhaps I had too much air in the wing.
This is usually a combination of too much lead and too much air to offset it.

There are really two parts to your question: 1) buy a back-inflation BCD; 2) buy a Zeagle Ranger. To the first - YES, go for it. It (back-inflation) is where you will very likely want to be in the future if you become a diver. The chances that it will be 'not the style I'll end up liking' are quite small. As to the second, there are pros and cons. The Ranger is an excellent BCD, in terms of materials and workmanship. My first BCD was a Ranger and I loved it - it fit like a finely tailored sportcoat and was very comfortable in the water. I still have it ~ 16 years later, but haven't dove it in a long time. The downside is that the standard bladder (44 lbs) has far more lift than you need for single cylinder diving, even if you are diving cold water, with a thick exposure suit, requiring ample amounts of lead. That extra lift capacity sounds like a good thing, but it isn't. It means that you can have a small air bubble floating around in the underfilled bladder, making trim optimization very challenging. In additional, it is a fabric BCD - it is positively buoyant, and you 'pay the price' for that buoyancy by the need to add lead to compensate.

If you are offered a truly great deal - and for me a 'great deal' on a used Ranger would have to be $125 or less on a unit that it is very good condition - in that case it would be worth it. A 'great deal', by the way, is NOT a $350 price on a used Ranger simply because 'it sells new for $790, so you are paying less than half price!'. You can do MUCH better.

Thanks for the price point, that's super helpful. I'm keeping that in my back pocket when I go negotiate.

A lot of new divers get hung up on BCs with integrated weight pockets as if migrating from the weight belt they used during their basic open water training to integrated weight pockets is mark of sophistication. What one finds later on is that all you are doing with integrated weight pockets is shifting the weight from your hips to your shoulders and limiting the placement of where you can put that lead. There are lots of reasons to choose the Zeagle Ranger and there are lots of reasons to entertain other products on the market. You did not say what your cost would be so its hard to make a recommendation but I can say definitively, the hook to swallow is not the one based on the weight pocket system.

Best recommendation I can give is to try on lots of different BCs be it back inflate, BP/W, jacket style, or what have you...try them out in a pool if possible or rent different style/brand each time you go out so you can make an educated/experienced decision for yourself.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom