Back From Yap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

actually the locals don't feel a buzz. its like cigarettes, if you have never had one or only have one every few years you get a little dizzy when you have one, if you smoke all the time you feel nothing.

basically betel nut gives you a nice flush warm feeling in the face and upper chest with a little dizzy feeling for about 3 mins...

however, i would say maybe only half of the time do people (first timers) get that, has to do with how fresh the betel nut is...

Mike Veitch:
actually the locals don't feel a buzz. its like cigarettes, if you have never had one or only have one every few years you get a little dizzy when you have one, if you smoke all the time you feel nothing.

OK, then....

So why do they do it constantly if they don't feel anything? Is it addictive?

I should have mentioned that I did have a betel nut martini. They put all of the ingredients into a pestle and pounded them up with a mortar. Then they put it in vodka, and I had to leave it long enough for the vodka to turn a little red and the flavors to get infused. Creating it was quite a show for the entire table.

I will admit that I did feel a little more buzzed at the end of that martini than I would have expected.

Was the effect the same?

not sure, haven't had the martini..

but yes, it is addictive. they do get the warm feeling from a good fresh nut, but they don't get the buzz....

but... thats why a lot of people add whisky soaked tobacco to it... gives it more of a kick

oh and to why your guide missed the caverns... i bet i know who it was.. :wink: :D

Mike Veitch:
oh and to why your guide missed the caverns... i bet i know who it was.. :wink: :D

Sent PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom