Back from vacation to Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevethepirate

Registered
Reaction score
I just got home this morning from a 12 day vacation on the Kona coast of Big Island. WOW is all i can say. Everything about this trip was great. we stayed down near Keahou (theres a nice shopping center) and it was just a few minutes from Kailua, where there was more walking to be done, and some nice little shops.

We had picked up handfuls of flyers for dive companies in all the stores that had them, and sorted through those. When I came on here, I saw that Steve (friscuba) has his own thing going on, so we gave him a call.

My sister and I had a bit less than 20 dives under our belts (learned in the Red Sea 2 years ago, and went to Dominica last year) so we are by NO means experienced divers, and we needed someone to help us out. Steve and Bob, from Wanna dive, were perfect. We went out with them for 5 days of 2-tank dives (unfortunately the first day got cut short by some un-necessary sea sickness :mad: ). Every dive was at a different site, based off of how we were feeling, and what the conditions were like. we were never taken to sites that were beyond our skill-level, but its not like they had us diving in a 10ft pool. For 3 of the 5 days, it was just my sister and I on the boat with Steve and Bob, so I have nothing to complain about. They are both great guys who were more than willing to answer our questions, no matter how stupid they were. They alternated dives, so we got to dive with both of them. For the remaining 2 days, there was someone else on the boat who was still getting certified, so they needed to find someone else to dive with us, as Steve and Bob were working on skills with the other guy. The DM's that they brought in were both great, and by no means "substitute" quality. They both knew what they were doing, and helped us to spot some pretty cool fish! Unfortunately we didn't get to see the shark that Bob saw. Next time..!

Our flight was early on friday morning, so what better way to spend our last night there but the Manta night dive!! My sister and I both did the dive, while our parents both snorkeled. WOW!!! Thats all I can say. Bob is the one who went down with us, and found us a great spot to hang out, amongst the other 50-60 divers that were down there. There were AT LEAST 4 GINORMOUS rays that (much to the disliking of my head) kept accidentally bumping into my head while swimming above. They put on quite the show, staying for the whole time we were there, allowing Martina (the videographer) to get some great footage that we ordered (cant wait for it to get here!). Bob then took us on a little night dive, our first. It was crazy seeing how different it is at night.

Summary: Big Island=GREAT diving.
You= Stupid. If you don't call Wanna Dive when you are diving in Kona.

Thanks, Steve and Bob, for a great vacation!!

Great vid! It is impossible to explain that dive to anyone without showing them.
I cant wait for our DVD of the dive to get here.

My wife and I are headed to Kona next week and thought of using Wanna Dive. We are newly certified and I have heard good things about Steve. It seems that they are priced pretty well for boat also. Any additional advise...

stevethepirate:
Our flight was early on friday morning, so what better way to spend our last night there but the Manta night dive!! My sister and I both did the dive, while our parents both snorkeled.

Did you really dive the night before you flew?

it wasnt actually early. we did a 1 tank dive, to a max of like 35', most of the time was spent at 32'. we were out of the water a little after 8, and our flight was at noon the next day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom