back from the future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chazpraz

Registered
Reaction score
Lees summit Missouri, moving to Lafayette, LA then
I am returning to recreational diving after a 15+ year hiatus.
The date of my certification is 1967 (I was 15) and there were no certifying agencies, just the individual dive shops. A little later, NASDS came on the scene here in Kansas City and we all took a quick refresher and got the new card (still cardboard at the time). I dove with a local rescue group (Lees Summit Underwater Recovery) that we formed so we could dive in local lakes on our montly training dives in addition to providing an otherwise unavailable service to the community.

After moving to Houston, I started taking trips to "real" scuba venues like Cozumel and Cayman (learned what "visibility" really meant). The hook was firmly set.

Last fall I went to Cozumel with a local dive group and I'm still processing some of the changes that have taken place in the years I've sat out. The biggest change is in the popularization of diving. It reminds me of snow skiing in the 70-80's. So many more people are able to take up diving. It's like freeway driving and the percentage of undertrained and over-equipped divers is a bit unnerving. In the 80's, it seemed that there was one or two nervous newbies on a boat of 20 divers. We usually identified them by their shinny new "stuff" (what is that thing?). Since they were the minority, they received lots of attention from all of us and their progress over a few days was substantial.

More recently, the percentages have reversed. Now it seems that the two in twenty that are noticed are the dinosaurs that don't have the quackers, blinkers and da-glow pouches. However, I have noticed (in my non-color coordinated fashion) that better than half of the divers on the boat have a nervousness about them that isn't anticipation but apprehension. The dives have the thread of this nervousness as the groups of 6 or 8 gather in clumps and change direction often.

It also seems that a 5 minute safety stop has replaced a reasonable (my term) surface interval. I don't think its a reasonable trade off but I'm still trying to gather data about this.

It's interesting to see the cowboys of old have been replaced with new equipment and classroom junkies. I'm sure that most of the classes and new products have enhanced the sport but I don't think the industry or the instructors quite see how much of a distraction they can be.

It's evident from reading the threads of scubaboard that there are still lots of well-trained, experienced divers out there looking out for their brethren. It gives me hope that the sport still has promise. There really are divers who seem to get "it". The basics of dive safety are a bit more difficult to see but it's good to know that they're out there.

I think it's time for me to take a basic course again (or audit one) to get back to the present and better understand my future dive partners better.

Sorry about the long post but I have to add my "worst and best" about diving today. The best is I don't have to waste my batteries in my dive light on night dives as everyone else in the group have so much light I don't have to turn mine on. The worst is that, with so many lights and noisemakers (or whatever those new attention-getters) are called, a night dive is like being abducted by alien ducks.

Glad to be back.

cp

chazpraz:
I think it's time for me to take a basic course again (or audit one) to get back to the present and better understand my future dive partners better.
I, too, took some "time off" from diving. I first started diving as a teenager in the early 70's and ran into the time/money/kids/location problem in the 80's. When I started again in the 90's I was lost - new gear, new techniques, where the heck did all these people come from? Although my NASDS card said I could dive, I decided to start over again and recertified as a PADI OW. For all that PADI may be the Evil Empire, it was worth every minute and dollar. It was a great way to refresh some very rusty old skills and learn some new ones. It also gave me a better understanding of all the "alien ducks" that I found sharing the boat with me. :wink:

Welcome back!

My first open water course was with NASDS back in 1973. They still exist?

Chaz,

I was also certified in '67 (at the tender age of 16), at the Y, dove for a few years in FL and NJ, and was away from the sport for many years. I got re-certified a few years back when I happened to win a raffle for a PAID OW class, here in the middle of corn country, no less.
I had a lot of the same thoughts as you: "What the hell is all this stuff?", and "What do you mean, I can't get my tanks filled at the gas station any more?".
It did seem easier to get a C card this time around, but that might just be because I'd done it before. Once I got past all the new toys hoopla, I did see some major advances: computers, greatly improved regs and BC's, better dive tables, and a lot of other stuff originating with the cave/tech people.
That being said, the biggest negative that I see is the "puppy farm" mentality of much of the dive industry: get 'em certified, and sell 'em all the stuff you can. IMHO, this is not a sport for everyone, and a basic OW is not the end of the journey, just the first baby step. I continue to take classes from instructors I trust, not to get some wooie-zowie card from PADI (or whoever), but to dive more safely and enjoyably. Just as important is picking the brains of the people on this board and the more advanced divers you get wet with (thanks, reefraff). It's amazing how much you can learn from people that are not trying to sell you something.

Get wet!

I too am an "old fart" diver who started back in the 1958, but never took time off. Technically, I'm not certified. In the 70's when you had to produce a C card to buy air and life support equipment, an instructor friend of mine who was my dive partner most of the time sent my name in with one of his classes so I could get a card to "stay up" with everybody else. Since then, I took an AOW and nitrox (from a kid who could have been my son and wasn't even a glint in his father's eyes when I was diving) because there now are areas a diver can't dive unless you are AOW cert. Even though I dove those areas dozens of times before, I was rejected because I wasn't AOW. I can see the day coming when you'll need AOW to dive the Belize Blue Hole, certain wrecks, or other dives considered slightly advanced. I'm not sure what I think about that yet; good? or just another way to pump $ into the industry. I saw diving grow from an activity that only a few "odd" people did back in the 50's to a mainline, multimillion $ activity that hundreds of thousands are taking part.

Welcome back---Barracuda2

Howdy CP!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

Yeah, I hate noise makers! My home bud bought a tank banger, but I talked him into returning it. I do down for the quiet!!

And I'd agree - take the OW, AOW, and Nitrox courses - even with your experiences. Some of the changes are based on new knowledge, which you would like to know, and - practice, practice, practice.

don

BTW - it would really help if you'd fill out your Profile - so we can respect your training and experiences, or be courteous if you're a newbie?!

:D

Back
Top Bottom