Back from our 1st scuba trip to Belize!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2ODoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I just spent 8 days at Ambergris Caye in Belize for our 1st ever dive trip! We had a GREAT time and really enjoyed diving. Here are some of my memories and thoughts:

- We finished our open water referral (two days, two dives each day) with ProTech. Pull up to Hol Chan reserve with Sara as our dive master. 6 Nurse sharks circle the boat. Sara asks if I'm ready to drop in. What? Are you kidding? I'm not getting in the water with those killers! First dive was great! Sara was like an angel watching over us and must have a sore neck from looking back to check on us every 2 minutes. Saw lots of spotted eagle rays and nurse sharks our very first dive! Protech was great - picked us up right on time, Anna remembered who we were and had a note waiting for us at our hotel. Peter (the owner) was great and enthusiastically gave us recommendations for lunch, etc. Scuba Pro gear worked like a charm.

- We also dove with Ecologic Divers. Suyapa and Gilbert and Junior (?) were also great. Very nice paced dive, great fruit back on the dock for our surface interval, etc. They really do a great job giving you that custom, attention to detail dive experience. They had rental Mares Dragon BCDs which seems like very high end equipment. We felt pampered.

- We did a full day dive with Amigos Del Mar to Turneffe - did the elbow and Vincente and something else. Marciano and Enrique (?) were great. Marciano's blowing bubble rings were neat. Not sure how they do it, but every time we got back on the boat, there was a huge spread of fruit and coconut followed by cocktail hour for the ride back. Very fun.

We did one more dive with the outfitter at our dock up north. Within 5 minutes of dropping in the water, we saw two spotted eagle rays circling, a turtle, and two barracuda. At the end, we saw a sting ray cruising by.

So, we got in 10 dives for our 1st trip. I guess we can call ourselves addicts now.

Ambergris was a neat place - everyone is very friendly and accomodating. Food is great, albeit somewhat expensive. Belikin beer is very good (note that they are 10 oz. bottles, so you can drink 6 bottles of beer and it only feels like you drank 5!). Ruby's rum cake is awesome.

Lots more to say, but gotta run. We are beginner divers, but from what we experienced, I can't imagine better dive shops than ProTech, Ecologic, and Amigos!

I'll try to post some pics later...

I just got back from Ambergris May 4th!!!! I dove with Protech too. Great place to be, isn't it? Did you do a jungle tour????
Angela

We are going to Ambergris Caye in July for 12 days and are staying in a condo. Glad to see some recent post on Ambergris Caye. We were going to dive with Amigos Del Mar but since I see good things on other dive shops we will probably use the other two sugestions also. We only get to dive 3-4 times a year but stay close to 2 weeks and dive atleast twice a day. I am a new diver along with my 14 year old son. Certied last year. My husband has been certied 4 years and dives more as his job takes him to Florida often. I will report when we get back. Anybody else have any thoughts of things to do besides cave tubing, visiting the ruins and diving feel free to let me know.

sounds like you had a fantastic time...got to love it...makes ya` wanna` go back for more...see ya under

NCSCUBADOOBA:
I just got back from Ambergris May 4th!!!! I dove with Protech too. Great place to be, isn't it? Did you do a jungle tour????
Angela

We took a tour of Xunantunich (shoe-non-two-neech) which was very worthwhile and after that had lunch in the jungle followed by cave tubing. Although I could have dove everyday we were there, my wife was feeling water logged, so we took a day on land. I'm glad we did the trip, though, it was good to see other parts of Belize!

ladaniel:
We are going to Ambergris Caye in July for 12 days and are staying in a condo. ... Anybody else have any thoughts of things to do besides cave tubing, visiting the ruins and diving feel free to let me know.

ladaniel,

You can also try the zip line through the jungle while on the mainland - that got great reviews as did the zoo. Another traveler described the zoo as "it was like they just lowered the cages over the animals while they were in the jungle". I guess it looks very natural and you can get very close to the animals!

As for San Pedro/Ambergris, it was fun to ride bikes along the beach and into town. Once there, we enjoyed buying fresh fruit from the small shops along front street. We stopped by the tortilla factory for some hot tortillas - very neat!

Someone else staying at our resort said that the 1/2 day fishing expedition was the best money they had spent. Caught 40 some fish (snapper, etc.) which were filleted (sp?) for them. They were going back to do a fishing/beach bbq trip where they cook what you caught on the beach for lunch.

Ditto on riding the bikes into town! It's so much fun and the seeing more of the beach and flowers (from the north) is so worth it!

Watch out for the Zoo prices, my family and I wanted to see it, but it was going to be $80 (US) per person (3) to go and see the zoo w/o it being planned. I'd rather spend my money on Belikin.

Anyone going there in December/January? We didn't go back last year (the first time in 5 years!!!) and so we're spending 3 wks down there:)

H2ODoc:
- We did a full day dive with Amigos Del Mar to Turneffe - did the elbow and Vincente and something else. Marciano and Enrique (?) were great. Marciano's blowing bubble rings were neat. Not sure how they do it, but every time we got back on the boat, there was a huge spread of fruit and coconut followed by cocktail hour for the ride back. Very fun.

Great to see Marciano is still blowing bubbles! I dove with them back in 2003 and they were really top notch.

Trip report--> http://www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/article64.html

I'm jealous...I'm WAAAAY overdue for a return trip.

D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom