Back from Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire is my dream dive destination...thanks for the report. I'll make it there someday (soon, I hope!)

My friends just landed last night and reported all is well aside from the entry at Ole Blue which was damaged. They had a stellar week of diving. I will be posting some of his photos on Bonaire Bliss soon. Re: Omar, the north had more damage from the intense wave action and swell. If you go deeper, the reef damage is less. South is fine. The winds have been light so east coast diving is the way to go with Bas or Wildside Divers.

Ann Phelan
Bonaire Bliss

............There was also a huge yacht called the Octopus which was formerly owned by Bill Gates. It was quite impressive. ..........
Actually, the Octopus is owned by Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft with Bill Gates. It is the 8th largest privately owned "super-yacht" in the world at 414 ft, costing about $200 million, has a crew of 60 and holds 2 submarines, 2 helicopters and about 8 other boats, one of which is a paltry 63 ft, among other things. If you are interested, see this powerpoint presentation. As of Sat., Jan. 24, it was still in Bonaire and is one of the reasons nobody can dive at the Town Pier. The Town Pier apparently has space enough for two cruise ships. When there are two cruise ships at the pier, there is not enough space for the Octopus which moves into the channel between the pier and Klein Bonaire.

A few questions about Buddy Dive-
1-how were the rooms- do they have Air conditioning, views of the water, and, just in case- did you have a tv in your room?
2-How was the food there? And, if it was bad, is it easy to get to other places to eat?
3-did your package come with a rental? We don't usually drive while in the caribbean but if it's worth it, was it easy?
4- We aren't looking for the ritz carlton, but it is our honeymoon so we are hoping for at least a nice place to have dinner- any recommendations?
5-Any other Bonaire tips would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

1-how were the rooms- do they have Air conditioning, views of the water, and, just in case- did you have a tv in your room?
2-How was the food there? And, if it was bad, is it easy to get to other places to eat?
3-did your package come with a rental? We don't usually drive while in the caribbean but if it's worth it, was it easy?
4- We aren't looking for the ritz carlton, but it is our honeymoon so we are hoping for at least a nice place to have dinner- any recommendations?

Can't speak to the rooms as I have not stayed at Buddy's. We have eaten at Lion's Den which is on the property and like the food and ocean front setting. It is really worth getting a vehicle in Bonaire so you can take advantage of the shore diving. Great spot for a special occasion dinner is Wil's Tropical Grill -- we celebrate our anniversary there every other year and my husband's birthday every year -- sometimes we just celebrate there for no reason!

1. The hotel rooms at Buddy Dive are not as nice as the other units (studio, 1 and 2 bedrooms). There was a mix up when we arrived so we got a hotel room for a few hours until they got things squared away and then we finally got our studio. They both had air but it didn't work all that well. We did call the front desk once and they sent maintenance to charge it. It was good enough for us after that but it wouldn't be if you like it really cool. We had a view of the pool and the ocean behind that. It's was a nice view. There was cable tv. The major network stations were out of Atlanta.

2. We only ate breakfast at Buddy's. It was ok but overpriced at 15.75 per person. Lot of packages include breakfast. Ours unfortunately did not. You will definitely want a rental car to get around. Buddy Dive also has packages which include car rentals. Ours did not. There are a lot of places to eat on the island. We ate in most of the time but if you have a car you'll have plenty of choices regardless of where you decide to stay.

3. There was no car with our package but we rented one at the airport. Driving on the island is pretty easy. They drive on the right hand side like we do in USA. There are several choices there. If you go that route, you may want to go on-line and book your car in advance.

4. We spent our 20th anniversary there on our first trip and went to the Patagonia Steak House. It was very nice and the food was good. This past trip we went to Sunset Beach Bar & Grill which was also nice but I think the Patagonia was probably a little nicer.

5. Go with an open mind. Don't expect top of the line accommodations. The diving is great. Take a good underwater camera or rent one while you're there.
For what it's worth; I've never been to the Plaza but I've heard it is one of the nicest places to stay on the island. It does cost more than Buddy's or Carib Inn but you may want to consider it since it's your honeymoon. I have no opinion on the DIVI except to say that they have a great house reef (right next door to Carib Inn).

Have a great trip. When are you going? I'll be looking for a trip report upon your return.

Fred

Alas- we aren't going until december but we are making all of our reservations now....I love Curacao - its my favorite place on the planet so I can only imagine what waits for us in Bonaire!
-M

Just got here on Bonaire last evening. This PM dived on Bari south of Den Lamen. There is a lot of damage there since our visit to this resort this last July. Lot's of damage also to the dock entry areas and concrete patio areas of Buddy's. Also after 6 dives today, including night I have yet to see a green Morray eel, so the word about a die off of eels appears to be founded. Still great diving though: turtles, southern sting rays, several larger octy's, and lots of young eels: spotted, golden, sharptail... Tons of sand down Bari to 40 -60 ft or greater in spots, and lots of new metal rubble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom