Back Entry Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Necessity is the mother of invention! I always feared damaging the zipper,as well. I tied a short lead of nylon cord to mine and rolled my body, trying as best I could to keep the pull straight. Always felt rediculous doing it. Glad I'm not the only one now. I think there may be some very slight advantages to the back zipper. It's shorter and out of the risk of damage.

You have to admit, when you watch someone try and get into a Back Entry Dry Suit, solo, it is kind of entertaining.

Of course, we are often the entertainment for others as we pull, twist, pull somemore, swear, pull some more and finally get it closed (or open) oursleves. :wink:

I was always more worried about getting unzipped. When you get out of the water and you have to go, you really have to go! So I always carried a 6 foot lenght of rope with a clip on each end. I could clip off to all most anything strudy and unzip myself.

KLJ

Abratty:
I've been trying to work this out for a bit, but am fed up with using the hook on an old umbrella. :)

Have any of you ever gone on a solo dive with a back entry dry suit and not had a soul around to zip you up? Any solutions?

I have a rope attached to the zipper and hook it under the doorknob of my ancient Citroen-2CV if there's nobody else around. Opening is easier than closing because of the woollie. [is that english? It's proper Dutch, though]

Usually there are people around who look really pitiful if you ask them to zip you up. "Poor fellow can't find a buddy", they probably think.

omeko:
I have a rope attached to the zipper and hook it under the doorknob of my ancient Citroen-2CV if there's nobody else around. Opening is easier than closing because of the woollie. [is that english? It's proper Dutch, though]

Usually there are people around who look really pitiful if you ask them to zip you up. "Poor fellow can't find a buddy", they probably think.
Maybe I'm paranoid about my zipper, but I don't like the way some people zip/unzip my zipper. Unless they own their own dry suit, I find that there is a careless regard for the zip/unzip process that can damage the zipper. OTHO, it's not their fault, they don't know any better.
The best zipper/unzipper of my dry suit is my (non-diving) wife, 'cause she shares in the monetary investment! :wink:

I find the occasional problem is getting the zip caught in an undersuit. My neoprene suit is close fitting so I wear thermals, my tri-laminate is looser and wearing a weezel undersuit it can be awkward

budgy:
I find the occasional problem is getting the zip caught in an undersuit. My neoprene suit is close fitting so I wear thermals, my tri-laminate is looser and wearing a weezel undersuit it can be awkward

I have the same problem with my weezle (the undergarment type), even when other drysuit divers are helping me with the zipper. It tends to bunch up and try to get caught in the zipper. I would love to be able to zip/unzip myself, but the weezle doesn't seem to want to let me do that.

I have no problem.
I use a atlan neoprene 7mm.
I use no rope, hook or other tool.
It just takes practice, when I started it was tough too.
As far as getting undergarmets caught in zipper.
Try using a small piece of neoprene, or hard plastic, say 2in. by 4in.
For me, a plastic shoe horn worked well.
tie rope{approx. 3 inches} to neoprene, or plastic, and tie it to zipper handle
Put neoprene,or plastic into suit, under zipper before you start to zip.
As zipper closes, neoprene, or plastic drags inside the suit under zipper keeping material out of zipper
before you close the last 6 inches pull neoprene, or plastic out of suit.
Then finish closing
Hope this helps

bottomrunner:
I have no problem.
I use a atlan neoprene 7mm.
I use no rope, hook or other tool.
It just takes practice, when I started it was tough too.
As far as getting undergarmets caught in zipper.
Try using a small piece of neoprene, or hard plastic, say 2in. by 4in.
For me, a plastic shoe horn worked well.
tie rope{approx. 3 inches} to neoprene, or plastic, and tie it to zipper handle
Put neoprene,or plastic into suit, under zipper before you start to zip.
As zipper closes, neoprene, or plastic drags inside the suit under zipper keeping material out of zipper
before you close the last 6 inches pull neoprene, or plastic out of suit.
Then finish closing
Hope this helps
I enjoyed your posting in verse. :D

Abratty:
I've been trying to work this out for a bit, but am fed up with using the hook on an old umbrella. :)

Have any of you ever gone on a solo dive with a back entry dry suit and not had a soul around to zip you up? Any solutions?

One thing to try is streching. Check out a book called "Stretching" by Anderson. It has body and sport specific streching techniques.

Back
Top Bottom