Back ache

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering if other divers get a back ache after diving a while... It seems to come from the reverse arch in my back. A friend mentioned that maybe I should use ankle weights to bring my legs down and keep me in a more level posture.

Before I spend the money on them - I was wondering if others have had this issue and if this is the solution? or if not, what you'd suggest.

Thanks in advance...
I used to. Try moving your weights around on your weight belt and put a little bit of it in non- dupable places such as the shoulder pockets of your b.
Also, very important to keep your back in shape. Pilates, yoga and swimming are excellent core exercises.

I had a lot of trouble with low back pain when I first started diving. It wasn't related to lifting gear, and it was clearly related in some way to my weighting.

I have to say that, when I switched away from integrated weights and went to a plate and belt, the problem largely disappeared. I now only get back pain from long scooter or cave dives, or from DUI 400g undergarments :)

I had a lot of trouble with low back pain when I first started diving. It wasn't related to lifting gear, and it was clearly related in some way to my weighting.

I have to say that, when I switched away from integrated weights and went to a plate and belt, the problem largely disappeared. I now only get back pain from long scooter or cave dives, or from DUI 400g undergarments :)

:huh: I don't understand this?

I bought a DUI 400g undergarment, the old red one. The way they made them, with the elastic in the back of the waist, made a whole bunch of thick fabric wad up between me and my gear. I got HORRIBLE backaches from trying to dive it -- I made it through six dives, trying to figure out if there was any way to fix the problem, and came up from the sixth one and listed it for sale.

It's kind of a joke, because I really complained volubly about the thing!

Eeewww - - - good to know, Thanks! :)

I was wondering if other divers get a back ache after diving a while... It seems to come from the reverse arch in my back. A friend mentioned that maybe I should use ankle weights to bring my legs down and keep me in a more level posture.

Before I spend the money on them - I was wondering if others have had this issue and if this is the solution? or if not, what you'd suggest.

Thanks in advance...

It may be from posture during diving or from lifting. Perhaps you can ask someone to check your posture when diving to see if you're hyperextending your back or if it's something else.

Adam

It's called hyperlordosis. Basically you have bad underwater posture that leads to pain after a dive. Stretching, back exercises and motrin will be your friend for some time. Also take breaks during the dive and bring your knees to your chest and stretch your back out.

I also think your posture in the water is bad for you.
My 2 cents:
1. Switch to integrated weights - this eliminates the contention where your weight belt is pulling you down, your BCD is pulling you up and your back is the mediator...
2. adjust you trim by moving weights on you BCD or your tank (with another tank strap).
The goal is that you achieve the posture you enjoy in the water using weights spread rather than muscle tension.

It can also be a result of good underwater posture, but should fade over time if you dive regularly.

Proper horizontal trim should leave you in a sort of parachutists' freefall postion - with a slight arch to your back. If your muscles aren't used to this, it can lead to initial aching. As your muscles develop and get used to the position, that ache should cease.

Be aware of that 'freefall' position.... hips and shoulders held high, tension in the stomach to support the mid-section (people normally ache because of weak stomach muscles) and legs bent upwards at 90 degrees behind..

Have a look at the video HERE for a demo of great trim position and bouyancy.

The key to obtaining great trim is to ensure that you are correctly weighted and that your weighting and tank are properly located to ensure an even distribution over your center of gravity. Ankle weights are not necessary. Backplate systems assist with this.

diver_arch.jpg

Illustration showing centre of gravity and even distribution weight.
Nice flat horizontal trim - showing straight line through knees, hips, spine and shoulders.

Below - divers practising good trim (can make back ache initially)
essentials_trim.jpg

Not so good trim...
scuba+diving.jpg

Less efficient trim. Sloping of the body, which rises from knees to hips to shoulders. Often caused by overweighting and bad bouyancy, leading to the need to kick downwards to maintain level. Causes extra strain. Diver works hard, using more energy and depleting air quicker.

I’m 49, been diving for over 32 years, and have had 3 back operations, so I kind of know where you are coming from.

Many things have been said so far, but here are my 4 cents.

1) Make sure you are weighted correctly. If you are over weighted, you are off to a real bad start.
2) What type of weight belt do you use? Where is it located in the small or your back? If it is in the small of your back, you may need to move the weight around to other areas.
3) You can replace some of the weight with steel tanks and an aluminum or stainless back plate. Back plates also move weight from the small of your back up onto your back
4) As has been said, do a stretch every now and then by curling into a ball. On my deco stops, which can run up to an hour total, you will many times find me vertical or even on my back as I do stretching and just get weight off the small of the back.
5) If you need a weight belt, look at the DUI weight & trim systems as they have a wide strap on the small of the back and help to distribute the weight over a larger area then a standard 2” web belt. Weight integrated BC may be another alternative, I don’t know, I’v been using a plate and wing BC since 1990.
6) Don’t add any more weight like ankle weights; you will just make it worse.

Back
Top Bottom