Back ache

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abenez

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering if other divers get a back ache after diving a while... It seems to come from the reverse arch in my back. A friend mentioned that maybe I should use ankle weights to bring my legs down and keep me in a more level posture.

Before I spend the money on them - I was wondering if others have had this issue and if this is the solution? or if not, what you'd suggest.

Thanks in advance...

If you don't have chronic back problems to begin with, the aching will go away after diving more, and by diving more frequently. You need to get the muscles used to diving.

Thanks - I think I need to do more back exercises and strengthen those muscles. They probably don't get much use unless I'm diving.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of scuba divers afflicted with lower back pain sustained the injury before or after the actual dive. Dive gear is heavy, and we are constantly moving it from one place to another. This includes: picking up tanks and weights, moving them to the car or boat, lifting them up, sliding them into the trunk, etc. What about when you need to get a tank fill at a local dive shop? That entails more lifting.

When you have to move scuba gear around (topside), remember to lift with your legs and put your body/arms/legs in a position to minimize strain on the back.
Stretching and warming up properly always helps.
You also might consider doing core strengthening exercises focused on your abdominal and back muscles. Do a little bit each day. You'll be surprised how much this helps keep your back in good shape.

Good luck.

Sounds like you are hyperextending your lower back. I have had similar issues in the past. Try shifting your tank up or down just a little bit. I find that if my tank is just an inch or two too low, I feel bottom heavy and flex my back more without even realizing it until later. The other is to possibly redistribute your weights on your torso. When I remove some of the weight from my middle (pockets or weightbelt) and use a steel tank or a stainless steel backplate, the overall weight is the same but distributed down the entire length of my torso and I'm less likely to feel top or bottom heavy so then I don't overcompensate in the water. Honestly it took me a lot of dives to figure this out. Also check your position in the water and compare it Diver0001's AV pic. It is a great graphic of how a diver should be positioned in the water. Ankle weights probably aren't necessary unless you are wearing a drysuit.

And +1 on what bubbletrouble said.

Just my 2psi.

I do get backaches when diving. I find that if I curl into a ball every 15 or 20 minutes underwater, it stretches out those muscles that are going to hurt later. Also... it confuses your buddy :cool2:

There was a diver I knew that didn't do well with back inflate BCDs. She disliked the feeling of laying flat and streamlined in the water column & fought the effect by using her back to force herself into a more upright position. She always ended her dives with a sore back when using the back inflates from the constant arched back during the dive.

You might want to have a friend video your posture in the water to see what may be happening. You may be wearing your weight belt too high on your torso, your tank may be too high on the BCD, you may be using too heavy of trim weights.

If you are sinking, that means you don't need more weight. If you add ankle weights, where will you remove the excess weight?

Just some things to think about.

I do get backaches when diving. I find that if I curl into a ball every 15 or 20 minutes underwater, it stretches out those muscles that are going to hurt later. Also... it confuses your buddy :cool2:

+ 1 on that. It's an odd use of those muscles. What other activity do we do where we arch our back and lift our head to see forward? Surfing...and that will do the same thing if you're not in shape for it.

Personally, I have a little more curvature of the spine than I need so I am always looking up when I am horizontal. Bothers me some but after a couple dives I get used to the ache and don't pay much attention to it.

:D Thanks for all the great responses! I have been curling myself "into a ball" every so often and that really helps. :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom