B2, Proton Ice or MK17/S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using air with an O2 cleaned reg does not automatically mean you will contaminate it and need to have it recleaned. That would only be the case if the air used was not filtered to the same standard as the air used in nitrox production. The difference is in the amount of hydrocarbons present and if a shop is producing nitrox, it is almost always the case that their air will meet the standard. So more correctly you want to be sure to use nitrox compatible air with your O2 cleaned reg or you will need to have it recleaned.

As for needing O2 cleaned regs for tech diving, I'd say it's nice to have but by no means neccesary for your back gas regulators as on a deep dive they will be using O2 percentages far below 40% and in some cases below 21%.

Your deco regs are another matter as using 50%, 80% or 100% deco mixes is the norm and O2 cleaning is a requirement.

Right now I think I will buy the Proton, since it will be the safest for diving under the ice, and it is compact and light for traveling. Since I will use 32 or 36% nitrox (after I get certified for it) only when traveling, it looks like the proton will do fine. Plus it really looks cool :D (I know that’s not a reason to buy a reg but I had to say it).
And if I eventually do go technical, I will buy a dedicated set of regs for it, and anyway I started diving last year, so the Proton should be enough for the next 2-3 years at least…..Thank again for all your help

DA Aquamaster:
Using air with an O2 cleaned reg does not automatically mean you will contaminate it and need to have it recleaned. .

Correct, my apology, for i was thinking of the standard of air we get in South Africa. Our air fills are not filtered to EANX standard and to have it done is the same price as a EANX fill. Also correct for on back gas regs not needing to be O2 cleaned when the mix is below 40%.

Please note that technical diving does not always entail deep diving. Shallow dives with long exposure putting you into a mandatory decompression stops are done.
I do not assume what the reg will be used for (back or deco reg) and would rather be save.

No problem

Additional info if you are interested
Scubapro Mk17 is a diaphragm regulator and flows 8000 l/m
Scubapro MK25 is a piston regulator and flows 8500 l/m 2 HP ports and 5 LP swivel ports.
All new MK25 comes with a anti freeze tif internal parts now for diving in cold water. 628 g
Mares V32 is a diaphragm and flows 4000 l/m 845.32 g 2 HP ports, but 4 LP fixed ports.
Scubapro x650 dv flows 2000 l/m 190 g
Mares proton ice flows 2400 l/m 239,96 g

But do not be too concerned about flow rates, a normal diver uses about 16 to 25-l/m sac. A highly stressed diver could use 75-l/m sac
Thus at 4000 l/m /75 / 2 divers 26 bar – 1 = 25 bar = 250 meters.
Thus we see that the mares first stage can support two highly stressed divers at 250 meters.

But this calculations is for air. You would normally dive on trimix.
The mares reg have been tested to 100 meters on trimix and exceeded the en250 international standard for breathing resistance.

Its basically a personal choise.

All the best.

dannobee:
The Mares V32 1st stage flows 4800 lpm. Also, there was a Mares demonstration performed with one MR22 1st stage and 25 divers breathing off of it at 90 feet. The link is now gone from the Mares website though.

Interesting to note, as the documentation I got with my reg states 4000. It is possibly a typo or the stats where upped. Would make sense to have double the flow on your first stage as your second stage.

The reg test was done here in SA. We also had 40 divers at 130 Ft of an abyss first stage. Predecessor of the V32. Same reg basically, V32 is just 500 g lighter and looks nicer. We also have a test with 101 divers breathing of the same first stage.

I see that the South African mares website is down. The links where on it. Will check around if I still have the articles.

All the best.

Back
Top Bottom