B-36 Peacemaker (San Diego -- 210 fsw & 255 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I promised another big post and it is now out.

I'm definitely not the first to dive or identify the B-36 off Mission Beach in San Diego. The "new" news to probably most people is that @California Diver located the number 5 engine which dropped off the airplane due to the fire. It is over a mile from the main wreck site. When the B-36 was first found, good underwater camera technology was pretty rare so I think this is probably the first time that good, high-res photos are available.

I did one dive on each site and found three of the engines at the main site along with a landing gear, 20mm guns, etc.

The B-36D had a very interesting configuration with three radial engines on each wing (facing "backwards" no less) and two jet engines on each wing.

The post along with the story of the B-36 and the crash is at the link below along with a ton of additional photos.

b36-sb-cover.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom