azimuth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I`m thinking on buying a Azimuth .What can you tell me about it ? Am I making a good choice ? Can I dive at 40 m with this one ? And what about spare parts ? Is it easy to find ? Thanks for all the Help :)

Hi again Carlos,

as I mentioned in your first thread, try the <<SEARCH >> button. There are several threads dealing with the Azimuth. Or just kick back on a quite eve and look through the archives. I spend several nights doing that, and plenty of questions were already answered. Then again, new ones popped up.

For more info on the Azi check out:
http://www.rebreather-azimuth.com/rebreather-engl.html
http://www.nobubblediving.com/azimuth.main.htm

As with any active-addition SCR (like the Drägers) you'll NEED a way to monitor your ppO2. Either with the addition of an Oxygauge (Dräger), a dive computer that uses the Dräger P-connector (VR3 or Explorer) or the Uwatec ZO2/Oxy2 combo with an adapter.

The can be infinitely set between 32% and 60% Nitrox. At 32% you will reach a ppO2 of 1.6 at 40 meters. The AF version can take two mixes, so with Nitrox, Trimix and the proper training you'll be able to go deeper if needed.
As with anybody else who is new to RBs I recommend you read Steve Barsky's "Simple Guide to Rebreathers" and Jeff Bozanic's "Mastering Rebreathers". Then have a look at the specs of different units, and manuals where available, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what they should be able to do.

As you don't post your location, I can't say what the supply situation is. Nor can anybody else. Here in L.A. it's pretty good.

Like Carlos Ive just bought an Azimuth and am trying to confirm the life of the scrubber but have been given many different answers. Can any body help as there is a big difference between 2.5 and 5/6 hours.

Terence of Arabia:
... Ive just bought an Azimuth and am trying to confirm the life of the scrubber but have been given many different answers.
Your post raises two questions:
1. Doesn't your manual give the scrubber duration?
2. Wasn't scrubber duration covered during training?

caveseeker7:
Your post raises two questions:
1. Doesn't your manual give the scrubber duration?
2. Wasn't scrubber duration covered during training?

Look and learn :11:

If you hav'nt been taught this, then you have a problem, That is assuming you own one :06:

3hrs on EAN.

I've been tempted by the Az. but after a LOT MORE RESEARCH what does semi closed have to offer?

Please note I am deliberately leaving this open :eyebrow:

The manual gives 5 hours but does not give a partical grading size nor does it relate to temperature. If one accepts that 8/12 ( small size) gives about 1.5 times the time of 4/8 then the time variation is a little understandable. But the Italian manf does not give any relation to temperature ( Its a S. Steel scrubber) But they do suggest that as its a radial unit the life expectancy is higher. But its my life that I worry about.

Carlos, Caveseeker7 is correct when he mentioned 40mt as does the manual. However the manual also gives 30 Mt as a maximum. Somebody else asked why use a semi instead of fully closed. As a begginer to rebreathers I feel and this is only personal that SC is a simple unit and needs less to think about. Therefore task loading underwater is less. Perhaps, when or if I master the Azimuth then I will consider moving to a closed unit. Its all down to running or walking, or in my case crawling as my head is still suffering from bumps recieved with the Drager when I inhaled to rise over an obstuction. Or the continual saw tooth profile due to clearing a perpetually leaking mask.
TOA

I just got back from a week trip to Palau & did 14 dives on the Azimuth. Had a CO2 hit after 5 1/2 hrs of scrubber use, training manual states 6hrs with 8-12 grade. I recommend using high grade scrubber no longer than 5 hrs.

hornetplt:
I just got back from a week trip to Palau & did 14 dives on the Azimuth. Had a CO2 hit after 5 1/2 hrs of scrubber use, training manual states 6hrs with 8-12 grade. I recommend using high grade scrubber no longer than 5 hrs.
I wouldn;t even go that high..

Scrubber duration on scrs are much harder to figure than a CCR, and frankly many manufactirer claims are much too high..

Unlike a CCR whose loop is fixed and the co2 scrubber duration is strictly based on CO2 production an SCR has another factor.. how much gas is being exchanged.. what you really need is a scrubber duration chart base on flow rate (with some adjusters for depth) which will give you a better guess.. if you are diving shallow where you are using a rich gas with a slow flow rate your scrubber duraton will be much shorter than if you are diving deeper with a high flow rate or even longer if you are diving shallow with a very high flow rate..

Sorb is cheap.... there is nothing wrong with changing it more often.. By the weight of sorb used 3 hours would be a good safe time to change it for most real world diving (although it COULD break through earlier than this especially on a 4-8 mesh)...

at co2 rate of around 1 lpm, 1 lb of 8-12 sorb is ~ 1 hr of diving (actual duration will depend on scrubber design/ due to dwell time of gas in the chemical), higher work loads will produce more co2 and shorten the life, high flow rates on SCRs exchange some gas with co2 so it extends it.. with all these factors changing the life of a scrubber bed, Why not be safe instead and just change it at the earliest posssible point. saving a few $$ is not an excuse.

In all fairness The manuals for the Azimuth contradict themselves as to depth/ Nitrox feed rate(with the same mix) and scrubber duration. With, as far as I can tell no suggestion as to partical size. Its no wonder that some of us are confused. If you buy a Ford you expect to be able to believe the user manual and not have to use a third party but that is what we seem to have to do. However a fair bet would seem to be what the manual suggests in one of its sections and that is refill the cylinders and the scrubber at the same time. But a word from the experianced and the wize is very much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom