AZ Desert Divers Club?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

desertdiver1267:
Hey everyone.

I learned to dive in Ca. The kelp is way cool, but the water is way cold. When i first started to dive it didnt bother me i was hard core like most. I dive in San Carlos Mexico now, for one it is closer for me, I live in Tucson, & two my friend has a dive shop here and in San Carlos. If you want some info. on trips let me know by my e-mail and i will get you all the info you need. There is great diving there, and its warm.

Hi,

You know you replied to a thread from last January right? We now have our own forum in the clubs section of this board, you might have better luck there. We also have a Yahoo group and a Phx. based club with monthly get-togethers and an affiliation with R-Divers(Raytheon) in Tucson.

hi i'm from Belgium (Europe) and i'm going end of february 2/27-3/03 in Tucson for biz (waste management) i'm a four star divers CMAS (more common in Europe) i busy to get my Divermaster .
I woud like to know wich are the possibilities to dive around Tucson (i need to hire a full equipment). I have saw that the sea of Cortez is not so far...
Do you think that there is a possibility to go diving there during this short period or it's too much problems ?

Are they other interresting site closer ?

Oliver.

oemond:
hi i'm from Belgium (Europe) and i'm going end of february 2/27-3/03 in Tucson for biz (waste management) i'm a four star divers CMAS (more common in Europe) i busy to get my Divermaster .
I woud like to know wich are the possibilities to dive around Tucson (i need to hire a full equipment). I have saw that the sea of Cortez is not so far...
Do you think that there is a possibility to go diving there during this short period or it's too much problems ?

Are they other interresting site closer ?

Oliver.

Hi, Oliver. If you're only going to be in Tucson for 5 days it will be difficult for you to get away for some diving. You can get to the Sea of Cortez in about 4 hours by car, but the diving there isn't worth it. The closest decent diving is at least a 6 hour drive. Some of the local dive shops run weekend trips down there, but there are also dive shops in San Carlos, Mexico. Check out www.garysdiveshop.com or www.elmar.com/mexico.htm or www.divecortez.com. These are the three shops in San Carlos and they all run boats out of the marina. Gary has the most boats and will run them during the week if he has enough divers. All three shops also have rental gear. Like I said though, you're looking at a 6 hour drive one way, so I'd recommend extending your stay if you can. The water temp at that time is also high 60s to low 70s. You can also drive to San Diego, CA, which is also about a 6 hour drive and dive the kelp or a couple of ship wrecks. You'll be looking at temps in the 40s, though. Another option would be to do some lake diving in the Phoenix area, about a three hour drive, but something that can be done in a day trip. The visibility isn't great, the water will be cold, and there's not much to see. For more information, check out www.southwestscuba.com. The site is just starting out, but there's some basic information there about Arizona lake diving and diving in the Sea of Cortez. Hope this helps!

Seems that a trip is scheduled on the 25 of feb by desertdivers to San Carlos does it worth it ?
Of is there a better choice ?
Olivier.

oemond:
Seems that a trip is scheduled on the 25 of feb by desertdivers to San Carlos does it worth it ?
Of is there a better choice ?
Olivier.

Desert Divers is one of the shops located in Tucson. I haven't been on any trips with them, so I can't comment from personal experience. I usually dive the Sea of Cortez with The Dive Shop, also located in Tucson. Their website is www.azdiveshop.com. They also have a trip scheduled the 25 of Feb. I've had nothing but good experiences going on trips with them.

I just returned from San Carlos this past weekend. This time of year it it AWSOME, weather, water, and the diving. This year is is great the hammer heads have returned to south point at San padro Island... Thats great it has been abut 5 years sence they have been there..... Desert divers make two trips to the island a day on there weekend trips. The first dive will be to south point to see the hammers if your aow. Its the best dive boat in San Carlos.

I have dove both the Dive Shop and with Desert Divers.
Both are great shops. I would recommend Desert Divers for any San Carlos trip. They run their own boats in San Carlos and their day trip boat is pretty fast on the water. I think that my Desert Divers trips in San Carlos have been the best but the Dive Shop is still a stand up operation. From what I have heard the Dive Shop is "The" shop to go through for South Pacific trips. The guy who runs the shop has a bit of a special relationship with some of the little villages in Fiji (or was is Bali?). I plan on going on one of their South Pacific trips soon.
My Favorite time of year in San Carlos is Oct also. The weather is a bit cooler than the blistering temps in the summer, the Water is still in the 80's and the Vis seems to be at its peak. I have been unlucky with my last 3 trips to San Carlos during Oct. All were in the start of the month and all had had a hurricane pass through the weekend before. Makes the diving poor and makes the town humid and it seems to kick up the mosquitoes that all run a search and destroy mission on me and me only.
Desertdiver1267: That’s fantastic! I have been diving the Sea of Cortez for 5 years now and have yet to see any large pelagic fish at San Pedro etc. That really excites me that they have been seen again. I had heard all about the hammerhead sightings but have yet to be lucky enough to been the right place at the right time.

I will be going on down to Cozumel on Feb 19th with Desert Divers. I just couldn't pass up the price. $1,795 for the airfare, hotel, transfers, boat, food and domestic beer at the hotel. We are staying at the same place that I stayed at last year when I went with them. It's called Casa Del Mar and it isn't "Posh" but it's was worth the money to me. I'm in Cozumel to dive, not to enjoy my hotel.

Back
Top Bottom