Avon raft repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have an older Avon raft. As it turns out the transom has started to rot about the same time as the glue holding it in place has started to go. I intend to rebuild and replace the transom. I will use 1 1/8 marine grade ply for the transom. All the hardware from the old transom is still in good shape so I will reuse it. I intend to use West System epoxy to coat and seal the new transom. I am looking for an adhesive to attach the fabric to the transom. I am currently looking at Stabond but am not sure if it will adhere to epoxy. I'll give the entire thing a coat of marine paint once it isdone. Now then, here is where I am looking for some information from you guys. The fabric of the boat is glued to the old transom. I am looking for a way to finish separating them. I am considering using a heat gun with the hore that it will separate like a drysuit seal. If anyone has any info or ideas on the adhesion properties of stabond to epoxy or, on separating the fabric fromt the old transom, or heck, on any other part of the project let me know. I'll post my results as they come.

Joshua

First I would contact the mfg and ask them what to use, if they are no help I would first try using toluene and a metal scraper with all the corners rounded to soften and lift the glue. It will take a long time, but it should work I have worked with inflatable life rafts and this is what we used. But a lot of glues are different so its best to find out from the mfg, but most glues are cut with toluene or MEK (MEK can damage the fabric on some rafts so I would stay away from it). FYI Unless you hear different from someone who knows I would say NO HEAT GUN! Heat can cause ageing and cracking of the material.

Before I went to that much work I would check the boat over real good. 4 years ago my old zodiac which was 20 years old had seam tape starting to lift and the boat was leaking. After I took it to Inflatable Boat Works [ http://www.inflatableboats.com ] they convinced me it just was not worth it. Your material may be getting stiff or dry and not want to seal/bond correctly. I buy my glue from them.

By the way is your boat PVC?

Back
Top Bottom