Avoiding DCS when doing lots of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlennJ

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for an article that was written about how to avoid DCS when doing many dives per day. I think it was geared around a live-aboard situation, but that just may have been the thread it was in. It talked about hydration, limiting exercise, etc.

I hope this is the right place to inquire about it - I've tried the search feature and simply can't find it...

Any help, as always, is appreciated...

Hello Glenj:

Avoid DCS

I do not know the specific article, but here are the usual hints:
  • Avoid strenuous activities below and on the surface
  • Slow ascents and safety stops keep nuclei small
  • Keep well hydrated
Dr Deco :doctor:

Use Nitrox?

GlennJ:
I'm looking for an article that was written about how to avoid DCS when doing many dives per day. I think it was geared around a live-aboard situation, but that just may have been the thread it was in. It talked about hydration, limiting exercise, etc.

I hope this is the right place to inquire about it - I've tried the search feature and simply can't find it...

Any help, as always, is appreciated...

The absolute simplest way is to dive a nitrox 32% mix and set your computer to air. That will let you calculate your no-stop and accumulated nitrogen load based on 79% nitrogen but the body only sees 68% nitrogen. As long as you monitor your maximum operating depth, keep your PO2 at 1.4 or less you will pretty much be DCS free.

Keep in mind that the air computer will require you to do some stops after the 4th no-stop dive but you should be doing some stops anyway. At a minimum 1 minute halfway between the maximum depth and 20 feet and then a nice slow ascent to the first stop or 15 fsw for your safety stop of 3-5 minutes.

When conducting multi day single tank dives this is my formula. It's worked great for many many years. I do at most 5 dives in a day on this formula with no less than 60 minute surface intervals.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom