Avocet/YDT-15 Report and Pics 8-12-07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went out to the Avocet and the YDT-15 today with Gary from Gulf Divers www.gulfdiver.net and had a fantastic time. We started out of the marina at 8:00 am and were treated to sunny skies and calm seas. We made it out to the Avocet in about an hour and since this was my first time here I could not wait to get in. I jumped in and the visibility was great, it was at least 80 feet. I left my camera out exposed to the sun during the ride out and when I hit the thermocline the inside of my wide angle lens fogged up causing me loose my first five pictures. Worst of all one of the pictures would have been my best picture of a blue angel fish ever if it would not have been fogged up :shakehead: . Oh well, next time I will put my camera in a bucket of water to prevent this from happening again. I hit a max depth of 107 fsw, water temp at max depth was 77*. The highlight of this dive happened during my half-stop. I saw four large spotted eagle rays pass right under me, AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
Next up was the YDT-15. This was the first time I dove this site as well and I can’t wait to get back. There were quite a few moon jellies when we jumped in, but once I hit about 30 feet they were gone. Visibility was 50 feet. There was lots of life on the YDT-15 and I saw the most freaking huge barracuda I have ever seen, it was a monster. Grabbed up a couple sand dollars for the kids and spent the rest of my time taking pictures. I hit a max depth of 92 fsw, water temp at max depth was 79*. On our way back the seas were still calm and I passed my time eating cooked sausage and talking about how cool the dives were. The weather was just moving in as we pulled back into Orange Beach. We couldn’t have timed our dives any better. Here are some pictures from the dive:

015.JPG

0211.JPG

0351.JPG

043.JPG

yello_fish_1.jpg

036.JPG

brissle_2.jpg

And here a couple of my dive buddy the "Lady Pirate:"

065.JPG

048.JPG

They are both great dives! Sorry about your dive buddy.

Thanks for the report, woulda liked to have been there myself :/ Arg.

Nice pics, Thanks. I recognize that buddy from somewhere. Where have I seen her?

Looks like a great couple of dives.

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

Party Report!!

Donna and I are so lucky!! We were surrounded by good looking men!! Gary found a cake with little fishies on it for us!! We are so special!! There was alot of talk about "sausages and buns" floating around :D ....of course it could have had something to do with what Gary cooked for us!! We even got some birthday kisses. Someone has been reading my posts on here and actually took me seriously and handed some out as we boarded the boat...I'm not complaining...:wink:

Dive Report!!

Donna, Walter(wjefferis) and I teamed up to dive the Avocet. What a great dive!! The vis was great, water temp was 81 and this was a fascinating wreck. This was my first time to dive it and it is truly awesome! I reached a max depth of 109 with an average of 83 and a total bottom time of 27 minutes. For the first time, my computer was reading my deco limit and air left at about the same which I thought was odd. It may have been the depth but I kept a close eye on it. After a surface interval of 1:42 we started the second dive. This was my second time on the NDT #15 and it was awesome as well. My max depth was 101 with an average of 75 and a total bottom time of 30 minutes. My sac rate is actually improving finally. It was two truly awesome dives and a great day at sea with a bunch of great folks!!

What a way to celebrate your birthday!! Thanks everyone for making our birthday so special!!

I defintely had a great time, count me in on the next birthday,Avocet, YDT trip!!:D

Yes, Donna said we need to make it an annual event!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom