Aviation quotes site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This is a cool site: http://www.skygod.com/quotes/index.html

A couple of my favorites:

A 10 cent fuse will protect itself by destroying the $2,000 radio to which it is attached.

— Robert Livingston, 'Flying The Aeronca.'

Only skydivers know why the birds sing.

— Anon

What's the hurry? Are you afraid I won't come back?

— Manfred von Richthofen, 'The Red Baron,' last recorded words, in reply to a request for an autograph as he was climbing into the cockpit of his plane.

Do you hear the rain? Do you hear the rain?

— Jessica Dubroff, seven-year-old pilot speaking to her mother by telephone as the engines revved for takeoff, she (and her flight instructor) crashed minutes later in rough weather, 1996. The Federal Aviation Regulations were later changed to stop 'record' flights by small children.

Hope you all enjoy.

Tom

I am happy to say I know why the birds sing...other than the quote in my signature..here are some of my favorites:

When the people look like ants -- Pull.
When the ants look like people -- Pray. -anon

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"
Hunter S. Thompson

"He who dies with the most Toys, Still dies!" -no fear t-shirt

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."
THEODORE ROOSEVELT
(Paris Sorbonne,1910)

Later,
Kenny

=-)

PhreefalN once bubbled...
I am happy to say I know why the birds sing...

That's one of my favorites, second only to the Jessica Dubroff quote. Unfortunately for me, I only did 3 static line jumps with modified T-10s in the USMC and found it boring. No doubt had I stuck with it I would now feel differently. Nowadays though, you have to do "tandem jumps" at first and there ain't no way I'm bailing with some dude clipped on my back and he's go the only canopy.

Tom

I have done the static lines from 800ft ...in the dark....w/ combat equipment...under a T10...it is no fun...It really makes you appreciate a good skydive. You can check out the local drop zones around you...If they tell you that you have to do a tandem..that is bull. That is a way for them to make money. You can go AFF (accelerated Freefall). It is about 6 hours of ground school before a jump. If you decide you like it..then you can do the remaining 6 levels to get signed off to jump on your own.. It is well worth it. I think everyone should try it ...at least once...:)

Back
Top Bottom