• 0.8-0.89 cu ft/min, 22.6-25.4 l/min

Votes: 15 2.0%
  • 0.9-0.99 cu ft/min, 25.5-28.2 l/min

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • greater than or equal to 1.0 cu ft/min, 28.3 l/min

Votes: 14 1.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread got a recent jolt of activity, now over 24,000 views and another 23 votes in the poll.

1642770945536.png

Vote in the poll if you have not already done so. Change your vote if your average RMV has changed.

Common for deeper dives, but not for shallower dives.
Speak for myself only.
Even by using 10L per min which is quite rare, a 11L Al tank supplies more than enough for any shallow dive(20m up) up to around 80 mins.
60 mins is good for me in rec dive.

The SAC does. The RMV is just converting the psi/min (bar/min) to cfm (L/min) using the tank factor. So they use the same basis.

The same basis meaning that RMV is an actual defined medical term, and SAC is a deritive term made up for use in Scuba. The problem is that SAC being a scuba term, and it's definition may change from one instructor to another and thus it's confusion with RMV.

RMV is an actual defined medical term,
True enough, but it becomes confusing outside of that industry since scuba operates at greater than 1 atm -- something the medical community never envisioned.

True enough, but it becomes confusing outside of that industry since scuba operates at greater than 1 atm -- something the medical community never envisioned.

It becomes confusing because instructors teach what they were told rather than necessary having an accurate understanding of the material.

Well over 25,000 views of this thread now and nearly 500 votes in the poll. Please vote in the poll, if you have not already done so. Change your vote in the poll if your average RMV has changed.

1645018384627.png

The median, mode, and weighted average are all 0.5-0.59 cu ft/min

I have a little bit of interesting info.. My SAC was ~ .54-.58 all of last summer. Since getting covid on 12/01/21 my SAC has jumped back up to .75 and even .80+ on some dives.

I still have an annoying cough sometimes, but I feel 100% otherwise. Nothing else has changed, not the gear, not the way I dive, nada..

I find that interesting.

I have a little bit of interesting info.. My SAC was ~ .54-.58 all of last summer. Since getting covid on 12/01/21 my SAC has jumped back up to .75 and even .80+ on some dives.

I still have an annoying cough sometimes, but I feel 100% otherwise. Nothing else has changed, not the gear, not the way I dive, nada..

I find that interesting.
Hi @rob.mwpropane

I find your observation extremely interesting and some evidence for residual effects of your covid-19 infection. Was your infection on the mild side, managed as an outpatient, or were you more ill, requiring hospitalization? There is accumulating data on the long-term pulmonary effects of covid-19 infection, you can easily find some by googling that term

There is this older thread Has anyone had Covid and went diving when they were better?

Dr Doug Ebersole @Dr. Doug Ebersole recently gave a talk on covid and diving, available on Zoom, thanks @Ken Kurtis TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - February 13-20

@Duke Dive Medicine
@rsingler

Hi @rob.mwpropane

I find your observation extremely interesting and some evidence for residual effects of your covid-19 infection. Was your infection on the mild side, managed as an outpatient, or were you more ill, requiring hospitalization? There is accumulating data on the long-term pulmonary effects of covid-19 infection, you can easily find some by googling that term

There is this older thread Has anyone had Covid and went diving when they were better?

Dr Doug Ebersole @Dr. Doug Ebersole recently gave a talk on covid and diving, available on Zoom, thanks @Ken Kurtis TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - February 13-20

@Duke Dive Medicine
@rsingler

Sure, I can give you a rundown. Felt bad afternoon of 11/30/21 and 12/01/21 had a positive test. My family quarantined for 2 weeks. By 12/06 everyone in the house (all positive) were feeling better but I was not. My wife said she thought I had pneumonia. The only way to get treated was to go to the ER as my primary care said (via video call) "no" to seeing patients with covid and the pneumonia stipulated an x-ray. On 12/08 I spent 12 hours in the emergency room after which they told me that I did in fact have pneumonia (go figure:)). It was viral not bacterial. They gave me a round of antibiotics and I left. My O2 was around 90%-92% the whole time, sometimes dropping a little below that.

The cough started by 12/03 and has never really went away. It has gotten worlds better, but it's not gone. Some days are better than others. I can still feel something when I breath deeply, but not as bad as it was before.

My 1st dives were on 01/08/22 since having covid and I coughed tremendously throughout both dives. I actually mixed 40% because I figured better to be safe than sorry.

Another part that I find really interesting is out of the 7 people in my family that had covid, only my actual bloodline had a cough. So of the 7, 4 of us are by blood, 4 had a cough. The other 3 never had a cough at all. Myself and my father (57) had it the worst, although his cough is gone and mine is still lingering. Everyone else is 100% better.

Hi @rob.mwpropane

Interesting story. So, you were diagnosed with pneumonia by CXR and your O2 saturation was low, not terribly low. Your post illness RMV appears to have increased by about a third.

I'm glad your diving has gone OK, despite the persistent cough. Some might suggest a fitness for diving evaluation, see the link I provided, above.

Good luck in your recovery

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom