• 0.8-0.89 cu ft/min, 22.6-25.4 l/min

Votes: 16 2.1%
  • 0.9-0.99 cu ft/min, 25.5-28.2 l/min

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • greater than or equal to 1.0 cu ft/min, 28.3 l/min

Votes: 14 1.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comparing RMV values to other divers is often like comparing apples to oranges unless you are doing similar dives. I have a pretty good value in the low .4's but the reason for this is I am diving in one of the least stressful environment’s there is: Cozumel. A lightweight wet suit in warm waters with visibility normally better 500’ and a moderate current that does the work for me, basically when trimmed out correctly you float like a jelly fish and expend the absolute minimum of energy. When I take the same conditions and add a Hawaiian sling and start moderate finning around looking for lionfish, it goes up a minimum of 10%. If I was actually working or in a 7MM suit or a dry suit and in cold water with low visibility I would expect my rate to rise dramatically.

I believe that every environment will change the way you breath. I have a couple friends that sip air like Scubadada and they put me to shame. But I'm still new to the game and I see thing in a different light then they do and they are more relaxed. Some day, soon I hope I will be at a comfort level where I can relax more and not try to see everything and race around. This last year I have been really trying to tell myself that is not a race and to slow down. Enjoy the sights that are around me if my buddy doesn't like the speed at which I dive to bad. That's one of the reason I took the PADi Self-reliant. If my buddy whats to go off and see something and I'm enjoying something else he can go. I'm getting comfortable with my diving and my gear to the point where I can be left alone for a while and not be concerned. It all just takes time. BTW I also have the Oceanlog software and the information it provides me is great feedback of my diving.

Dive long and dive safe!!!

Comparing RMV values to other divers is often like comparing apples to oranges unless you are doing similar dives.
And in similar gear. Back home, in a DS in cold water, I normally average some 16-18 SLM (0.6-0.69 cuf/min), but have logged up to ~25 SLM (nearly 0.89 cuf/min) and down to ~12 SLM (0.4 cuf/min) on occasion. On vacation, in a 5mm WS and 18-20 C water, I usually get some 12-15 SLM (0.4-0.59 cuf/min).

Comparing RMV values to other divers is often like comparing apples to oranges unless you are doing similar dives. I have a pretty good value in the low .4's but the reason for this is I am diving in one of the least stressful environment’s there is: Cozumel. A lightweight wet suit in warm waters with visibility normally better 500’ and a moderate current that does the work for me, basically when trimmed out correctly you float like a jelly fish and expend the absolute minimum of energy. When I take the same conditions and add a Hawaiian sling and start moderate finning around looking for lionfish, it goes up a minimum of 10%. If I was actually working or in a 7MM suit or a dry suit and in cold water with low visibility I would expect my rate to rise dramatically.

I hit an all time low of 0.39 on the Riveria Maya in September, averaged 0.5 for the trip. My high for the year - local cold water low viz diving was 0.8.

Oh gcarter and the hyperventilation again :banghead: stop hyperventilating! You're going to pass out

It's useful to know one's average gas consumption, but also useful to know the variability and reasons for it. I have my RMV for the last 800+ dives and know that the average is 0.37 and that the standard deviation is 0.04 cf/min. That means that about two thirds of my dives are between 0.33 and 0.41 and about 95% are between 0.29 and 0.45. The real range is 0.28-0.63. For me, being cold is probably the most important variable raising my RMV, as important as exertion. I have taken more care to stay warm and it has paid dividends. I use twice my average RMV, 0.75 cf/min for my emergency gas planning such as choosing a pony for my solo dives.

Following your RMV over time also has the potential to reveal your improvement in buoyancy, trim, swimming efficiency, and breathing. I did not start capturing my RMV until I had about 450 dives. The improvement in my RMV since then has not been dramatic, but the variabilty has decreased

Last edited:
I run ~0.51 or so in good conditions (tropical water, little exposure protection, etc) to ~.65 to .68 in cold New England water with heavy wetsuits, more weight, surge, etc.

If you have not previously responded to this poll, please consider doing so, I would like to increase the database

Edit: Thanks, there have been 5 additional responses already, I look forward to more :)

Last edited:
I’m still a newbie and I’m seeing improvement within my gas consumption on every dive so far. Checkout dives I was at a .95-1.05 RMV last month on two dives I ran a .78 and .82. Only 9 dives in so far and still working on things hopping to get down to .4-.6 RMV in the future.

.55 for me. Always trying to get lower.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom