Average Depth Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
No, but they are abstracted from another system that was not designed to support that abstraction. You can always fit a new model to any set of data points that are produced by a previous model, but when you do that you can only have confidence in the performance of the new model between the end points that you used from the old model and, in reality, only at the precise values that you used to fit the new model to, data points outside your set are anyone's guess and values between your data points are assumed to fall on a line that has been fit (in come manner) between the data points. That assumption is a natural one for humans to make and can get us into all kinds of trouble with statistics and potentially decompression.

That’s great, and I hope that the next one is as good for you as the previous 130, but you have no real way of being sure of that, except a passing small sample and simulation and anecdote.

Yeesh, I have a big feeling I'm going to regret getting into this again.

First the "insult" was not intended as an insult, and I dont think the comment was even directed at you -- it was at someone who posted a vary naieve form of averaging that will likely get you injured.

I'm not going to go through your post point by point because I really dont have the energy to argue this one again.

At the end of the day I'm going to dive the way I do (along with a significant set of other people) and others will dive the way they want to.

It just irks me when someone makes a post "diving without a computer will injure you" and even posts false info, everyone just seems to let it slide.

Anyone mentions another technique and suddenly everyone things they are telling the whole world they are doing it wrong and to throw away their computers.

not so.

Charlie99:

Because there is (as far as I know and I am not an expert -- as we all know) research that shows that even if you ascend slowly enough not to exceed an M-value, you can still generate bubbles which can then be hard to get rid of.

The DIR model combines an ascent profile that tries to reduce the generation of these bubbles in the initial part of the ascent before reverting back to a more conventional profile for the shallower depths.

rjack321:
1st: there's no way to do "trials", that would require having someone push the envelope and that would be medically unethical IMO.
But that's what your doing in a disorganized and unsupervised experiment.
rjack321:
2nd: the method requires an understanding of both dissolved gas and bubble mechanics.
No it doesn't. The explanaition requires an understanding (or ingnorace of, depending upon your viewpoint) both dissolved gas and bubble mechanics
rjack321:
3rd: the method requires the same gasses for the same depth ranges. "best mix" nitrox in contraindicated, although not necessarily impossible.
OK
rjack321:
4th: the Navy tables were developed by anecdote. Some got bent - some didn't, a couple thousand dives later and some negotiation between various Navy units and the tables emerged.
That's hardly the case, but if that's what you wnat to believe, go for it.
rjack321:
Just amongst those knowledgable posting in this thread, there are probably a thosuand DCS free dives in aggregate. Why does anecdotal evidence not satisfy you that is works - way beyond recreational depths too./quote]
I'm well aware of that, and I'd happily dive most of the profiles that have been documented by several divers. What I'd like to see is a planned step wise progression of testing, not an unsupervised random group of amateurs (and I mean that in the best sense of the word) practicing Monte Carlo Theory. There is also the issue of the way in which it is presented, you know, double secret ... only to be understood by the anointed few, that kind of claptrap should have no place and be rejected by all thinking people.

5th: it is also taught by certain instructors/agencies, you don't just pick it up and start winging it. Its in the Koolaid.

Thalassamania:
But that's what your doing in a disorganized and unsupervised experiment.

There is also the issue of the way in which it is presented, you know, double secret ... only to be understood by the anointed few, that kind of claptrap should have no place and be rejected by all thinking people.

first off, the method is documented. A search for ratio deco on the 5thd-x website ought to provide at least one pretty complete explanation.

second, (and maybe this sounds silly, I don't know) you can't just go out and start depth averaging for recreational dives (and definitely not for deco dives). I'd hate for someone to take info from my postings, assume that what they see is correct, go out and put it into practice and injure themselves.

If you are really interested in the techniques, then the best way is honestly to take the class and learn things from people who are actually paid to teach them, not us laymen who are just doing our best to safely implement those procedures.

It has been explained before on the internet, on this board. Its not a secret. I posted the link where you can read at least 2 different ways to get from here to there. Its also been written up by some instructors and posted.

As this post started years ago, its still not recommended to learn to dive via a keyboard. If you don't understand it and/or don't trust it, move on. You're basically asking us for a physics dissertation in on-line and we can't give that to you here.

Dive however you want.

Edit: limeyx said it better than I at the same time.

limeyx:
Because there is (as far as I know and I am not an expert -- as we all know) research that shows that even if you ascend slowly enough not to exceed an M-value, you can still generate bubbles which can then be hard to get rid of.

The DIR model combines an ascent profile that tries to reduce the generation of these bubbles in the initial part of the ascent before reverting back to a more conventional profile for the shallower depths.
Perhaps the original poster of that comment should explain, since it's not clear to me why "the method requires an understanding of both dissolved gas and bubble mechanics".

Slow ascents and deep stops precede WKPP and DIR.

Deep stops are easily generated using dissolved gas models with a minor tweak. Indeed, until the latest revision, GUE's Decoplanner decompression planning program was a classic dissolved gas model, with no bubble/dual phase model or calculations anywhere in the program. By "DIR Model" are you referring to Buhlmann algorithm with gradient factors?

It's interesting how posters will alternately say "super simple, easy to do" and "very complicated, must understand deco theory in depth, should only do this after taking a class on it".

Do you REALLY understand the depth averaging method and why it works? Do you really understand how bubble mechanics relate to depth averaging?

If you don't, then perhaps when using it you are doing "trust me" dives.

Charlie99:
Do you really understand how bubble mechanics relate to depth averaging?

Since decompression is a non-exact science, we are all doing "trust me" dives to some extent.

Charlie99:
Perhaps the original poster of that comment should explain, since it's not clear to me why one "the method requires an understanding of both dissolved gas and bubble mechanics".

Slow ascents and deep stops precede WKPP and DIR.

Deep stops are easily generated using dissolved gas models with a minor tweak. Indeed, until the latest revision, GUE's Decoplanner decompression planning program was a classic dissolved gas model, with no bubble/dual phase model or calculations anywhere in the program. By "DIR Model" are you referring to Buhlmann algorithm with gradient factors?

It's interesting how posters will alternately say "super simple, easy to do" and "very complicated, must understand deco theory in depth, should only do this after taking a class on it".

Do you REALLY understand the depth averaging method and why it works? Do you really understand how bubble mechanics relate to depth averaging?

We are mixing two concepts here:

1) Figure out how much deco you need to do (this is where depth averaging comes into it)
2) figure out the required deco shape (nothing to do with depth averaging)

for (1) I am comfortable with all the dives I do and the gases I choose.

It might come as a surprise but even though GUE's deco planner S/w is a fairly standard model, it's not necessarily the case that those exact profiles are what are dived (which I've said before in many posts in other threads).

I cannot comment on what was taught in other classes, but I do not dive any table that comes from deco planner or otherwise.

I don't rember saying you need a Phd in deo theory to apply it -- in fact, you seem to understand many of the models better than I, including all the compartment models etc.

There's also an interesting issue. You can make things as complex as you want on land because you have plenty of time and resources to figure out complex problems (and you aren't narcd :)

But in water you need something simple, reliable and flexible. Thinking about 16 compartments in water is not practical for most of us.

The GUE ascent profile goes something like this (depending on how you do it)
This is for deco dives only -- rec dives are actually a subset of this, which you can actually derive from the ratio deco pdf file.

1) generate an RGBM or VPM ascent profile (with particular conservatism settings)
2) Add in deep stops manually based on 0.8 ATA of depth, and 0.65 ATA of depth (these are essentially the deep stops used by WKPP and depend on bottom times)
3) decide what deco gases you are going to use (since the initial table is planned on using air as deco gas).
4) Add in stops that let you take advantage of the "Oxygen window" (where the deco gas has a PPo2 close to 1.6) -- these stops are "shaped" like an S-curve, not an exponential RGBM curve etc.
5) add in the shallow stops -- essentially the same as RGBM/VPM

so no, it's not magic, it's not hard, but it's not something that a standard deco planner seems to do right now.

And no, I do not understand down to the molecular level how bubbles work in my body and I would posit that probably no one knows for sure (if people really 100% knew this stuff, no one need ever get bent).

The methods I follow are used regularly by hundreds of people (ok, I know it's orders of magnitude less than the computer/table folks) on dives that I cannot even contemplate doing. If I am going to do a "trust me" dive (which to an extent every single dive anyone ever does is), then the people I want to trust are doing 400 minute bottome times at 275 feet. And not just once, but every weekend.

first off, the method is documented. A search for ratio deco on the 5thd-x website ought to provide at least one pretty complete explanation

I know, I read Georgitsis’ paper a couple of years ago. For those of you who want it in PDF here it is: Ratio Decompression
second, (and maybe this sounds silly, I don't know) you can't just go out and start depth averaging for recreational dives (and definitely not for deco dives). I'd hate for someone to take info from my postings, assume that what they see is correct, go out and put it into practice and injure themselves.
I think an adequate explanation of the technique would make that clear. But the implication that somehow, if only we took this class or did that other thing, we'd know something about the technique that we don't already know is, at least for me, both fallacious and insulting.
If you are really interested in the techniques, then the best way is honestly to take the class and learn things from people who are actually paid to teach them, not us laymen who are just doing our best to safely implement those procedures.
With all due respect, if you can run the technique in your head while diving, why can’t you explain it to folks with an easy to follow example?

Thalassamania:
I know, I read Georgitsis’ paper a couple of years ago. For those of you who want it in PDF here it is: Ratio Decompression

I think an adequate explanation of the technique would make that clear. But the implication that somehow, if only we took this class or did that other thing, we'd know something about the technique that we don't already know is, at least for me, both fallacious and insulting.

With all due respect, if you can run the technique in your head while diving, why can’t you explain it to folks with an easy to follow example?

I honestly dont mean to insult anyone, but sadly the internet is an imperfect means of communication so maybe it can seem that way.

The "Take the class mentality" comes from a number of things.
1) I dont want to get sued by someone
2) I am not a dive instructor so anything i say may result from an incomplete understanding of the issues
3) the skills the class teaches are not just in "understanding" the technique (in fact a lot of fundamentals classes may not even cover the concepts), but it's to make sure you have good enough in-water skills to execute.

I have given examples in other threads of depth averaging for a recreational profile (which are actually usually more difficult since tech dives tend to have shorter bottom times)

If you read AG's paper, then there's really nothing i have to add, except that I thought I "had it" by reading the internet, and even working with other people who use the same method. Then I took a DIR-F class and realized that even though I abstractly understood it, the implications to my diving were still sinking in.

Then I thoguht I had it. Then I took a tech1 class and realized there is yet another level of understanding (which also needs real experience in my opinion)

The ascent profile is actually separate from the averaging aspect, but if you want me to post an ascent from a tech dive (rec ones are available in multiple places) then I can easily do so. I dont think it will look like RGBM or VPM.

Back
Top Bottom