Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I liked this movie a lot, the world has many underwater references, Jelly fish, Christmas tree worms, bio-luminescence hammer head sharks and likely others I did not notice. also mining for money killing the locals, what is not to love.

was a brutally unoriginal movie, but the special effects were pretty cool. Dances With Smurfs sums it up nicely.

glad I didn't pay for the ticket.

I saw it. Liked it. Audience applause at the very last scene. The scene was a bit predictable, but it worked anyway. I also noticed many similarities between Cameron's creatures and reef critters.

DC

The story is no way original. We saw the 3D version and it was awesome to watch but at the end we walked out kind of sad. Sad for the reason that the movie is over and the life still goes the way it is showed in the movie, locals are killed in direct and indirect sense for the resources even now.
The movie is pretty much IMHO reflects the invasion of Africa and other places for obtaining the resources the only difference is that in real life the end was not that nice as it was in the movie. Besides another point was that we in the western worlds are too much concentrated on unnecessary material crap, stimulating the destruction of out planet instead of trying to integrate and develop our internal world.

If one can read between the lines and ignore the standard Hollywood crap the movie can bring an important message.

I found the movie exciting. Original and creative, spectacular imagery and color. As for original story telling, every story in every book and movie has already been told in some form elsewhere, but this movie tells a good story, with a lot of very creative effects that are new, and there are many very imaginative touches throughout.

I have several friends who have been more than two times to see Avatar!

I thought the movie was absolutely spellbinding. The story is old, and there wasn't a single original twist to it, but the evocation of the world was so incredibly rich and so visually sumptuous that the story didn't detract, except minimally in the end, violent scenes. The characters were so beautifully rendered that I was fascinated, watching the facial expressions and how they matched with ears and tails; as someone who has lived with cats for 30 years, it was mindboggling how well they blended human and feline features and movements. My husband, who is not in general an sf fan, was equally blown away. I will definitely go see it again.

I liked this movie a lot, the world has many underwater references, Jelly fish, Christmas tree worms, bio-luminescence hammer head sharks and likely others I did not notice. also mining for money killing the locals, what is not to love.

I think the jellyfish, tree worms, bioluminescence was smack dab magical and it reminded me so much of why I dive. I loved that they brought these beautiful underwater elements into the movie. It just reflects how beautiful our underwater world really is!

I'd say what everyone else has echoed about the story-line being VERY unoriginal - it conjures up Princess Mononoke and Fern Gully. Add to that the Matrix (in several ways), LOTR, Star Wars and voila!

Beautiful movie though.

It's amazing how the likes of Kurosawa, Hitchcock and Lean were able to turn out such spectacular films w/o the aid of CGI.

I went with my sons, they thought it was original, of course they have not seen, "little big man", "last of the Mohican's","a man called horse" even "Custer's last stand" and of course "dances with wolves" and others I can not recall at the moment. lots of nations have killed and "alienated" their Indians, (south Africa - District 9, Brazil...). I liked the movie, it was entertaining, the visuals were great, I wanted to to yell ooh rah, when the colonel strapped on the walker and jumped from the burning shuttle, and yes I did have mixed feelings about his character. anyone else see the reference to big oil and the oceans? either way I liked it.

I watched the 3D movie and I really liked it. I would'nt mind watching it again. I know people who watched it twice. People were clapping hands at the end.The following day I went for diving and I must admit I was watching underwater life with a lot more respect and admiration for what was offering to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom