Avalon Resort on Ambergris Cay Closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Petra

Reaction score
I just found out yesterday that the Avalon Reef Club on Ambergris Cay has closed. I don't know if it's permanent. They said it was due to, "operational needs." My wife and I had won a dive trip and were to be going on the 23rd of Sept. Now I have one week to find an alternative. Any suggestions on where to stay on Ambergris Cay and who to dive with? I've heard that Gaz Cooper runs a good operation and have sent him a message requesting info. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

p.s. Avalon Resorts did offer to let us stay at either their Cancun or Isla Mujeres property. I don't particulary care for Cancun and I don't know anything about the dive scene on Isla Mujeres. Plus my wife doesn't want to get there and find out that they've decided to close that property also.

Hi Petra,

It's a zoo & the diving very mediocre on average. Isla Mujeres is much less developed, too much so for some divers tastes, but the diving remains just so-so.

I'd stick with a refund & another venue on Amergris Cay. Chances are very high that Gaz will shoot straight with you & see that you have a good time.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Hi

I have replied to your private message with some suggestions

Avalon seem to be jinxed, while its a beautiful resort they are going through what I call getting belizeanized, its not easy doing business in belize and this is a classic case of a large corporation delving into a new market they are unfamiliar with and using the same plan as they have with there cancun and Isla mujeres propertys and that will just not work in Belize.

They are goig through there third management change less than a year and i forsee more problems for them in the future unless they get some serious consutation and stop trying to market it as another cancun which is is not and never will be.

Unfortunately I cannot accomodate Petra as i am closed until Oct 1 for staff vacations and to finish my new restaurant and bar, we re-open october 2nd.

best regards

Gaz Cooper
Playa Blanca Dive & Beach Club
www.divebelize.com

Just spoke with their sales person again. The resort was not only closed, it was sold. So no chance of going at a later date. They again offered to let me stay at either their Cancun or Isla Mujeres property. Neither one sounds appealing so I turned them down. This was a free trip I won through a dive show put on by a local dive club. I guess this just proves that nothing is free. I didn't like the way they handled this from the beginning so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I definitely would not do business with them in the future.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom