Availability of the Hydrooptix Mega 3.5DD Dive Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnyd_963

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there,

Was hoping someone out there could help me on this one - Hydrooptix have been advertising the release of the 'Mega 3.5DD' double dome dive mask since early 2006, and I've read some posts from divers saying they've used this mask; but can I find a supplier!? (that would be a resounding 'no' then...).

Latest post on the Hydrooptix web-site states late '07 for release, but I've not been able to get a peep out of the sales team @ HO.com.

Was hoping to pick one up for an up-coming trip to the Watamu marine park in kenya (panoramic view will give me the best shot at spotting the elusive whale-shark or passing manta...)

Does anyone have any info on release date / retaillers? Anyone used it? Any info would be awesome,

Cheers:wink:,

Jon

I am curious about the 3.5 DD too. I am in my mid 30's and my prescription for my contacts is -2.50 which doesn't fit me into their 'perfect fit' category. Mayb the 3.5DD would be a better fit for me.

The Mega 3.5DD is said to suit divers (without the need for contacts) with prescriptions falling within the ranges below:

Under 30 yrs -1,50 to -4,50
30 - 40 yrs -2,50 to -4,50
Over 40 yrs -3,00 to -4,50

For divers with mild astigmatism (< +/- 1.75), add 1/2 of the CYL value to the SPHERE (i.e. values quoted above), to calculate your in-air sphere-only correction (e.g -2.00 SPH, -1.5 CYL = -2.75 for comparison with the ranges above).

prescription ranges for 4.5DD masks are;

Under 30 yrs -2,50 to -5,50
30 - 40 yrs -3,50 to -5,50
Over 40 yrs -4,00 to -5,50

Sounds like you would fit the profile for the 3.5 model a treat. It's listed on thier wholesale price list from 2006 at $175.00 RRP; so I've no idea why they've been sitting on the design for so long.

Website says late '07, but given that release has been iminent since '05, I'm not holding my breath...

Shame, would love one of these for my up-coming holiday.

After harassing hydrooptix customer services over the past few weeks, I finally have an answer on the expected release dates for the Mega Zero-D & Mega 3.5DD, and the reasons for delay:

"Re: 3.5
Not soon enough! Molds for all parts but lens are finished for the MEGA Zero-d. We¹re awaiting polishing of the lens + getting the coating process fine-tuned. We expect about 2 months. Once the Zero-d is completed we will then complete the MEGA 3.5 (about 4 months). We will email you as soon as the 3.5 is shipping."

so, watch this space - will post again if / when I recieve word that these products are available.

Well folks here we are coming to the end of 2009 and their website says that the 3.5 is out and something called the Zero D is coming soon. Maybe another 2 years?

Okay, enough fun. It's a small company trying to develop Nasa like, game changing technology. So it's always going to take much longer.

I was personally hoping that they would develop a line of 2.0 D as that is my prescription right now. Maybe I should buy a 3.5 D and put it in the closet for 10 years from now when my prescription slips a bit.

It looks like the Zero D will be for people with 20/20 vision? Hey what about us Myops that have vision between 3.5 and Zero?

I'm just saying...:D

Al

After harassing hydrooptix customer services over the past few weeks, I finally have an answer on the expected release dates for the Mega Zero-D & Mega 3.5DD, and the reasons for delay:

"Re: 3.5
Not soon enough! Molds for all parts but lens are finished for the MEGA Zero-d. We¹re awaiting polishing of the lens + getting the coating process fine-tuned. We expect about 2 months. Once the Zero-d is completed we will then complete the MEGA 3.5 (about 4 months). We will email you as soon as the 3.5 is shipping."

so, watch this space - will post again if / when I recieve word that these products are available.

Latest as of this week (talked to Terri) is that things are still on hold for the 3.5 until the spring. Sounds like the manufacturing issue is past - just dotting i's and crossing t's before release.

I went ahead and purchased a new lens for my 4.5. I'll be able to wait a little longer for the 3.5 - I've waited this long :D.

My presbyopia has dropped my myopia from -3.25 down to -2.50. The distance view with my naked eye is fine with the 4.5 but I sure could use some help up close with the camera LCD and my guages. The 3.5 will help and I think I'll like the purge valves being located at the bottom.

anything new on the 3.5DD? I'd love to actually buy one of these for once. Had the original 4.5DD but my eyes were little out of the range and hated changing contacts. I already wear contacts but having to take those out, wash my hands, and than put the new ones in everytime got old----than when I was done with the dive, again take those out and either have another pair of contacts or glasses. If I could just go without any contacts, that'd be pretty cool!

Plus I hope they offer one without the purge valves. Nice idea but more trouble than it's worth, I know with the last 4.5DD, that thing leaked like crazy and personally have never had an issue with clearing a mask.

Hi,
I am new to diving and I just bought for myself Hydrooptix Mega 4.5DD Dive Mask. My friend saw the masks and wanted one for himself but his range is below and he wants to avoid contacts too. This model is said to cover those with lower Rx. Its already 2011, Is it out yet? I have yet to find it anywhere else? I can't seem to email anyone from Hydrooptix. So is 3.5DD out?:depressed:

Back
Top Bottom