Australia Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sigourneya

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm in the very early stages of planning my honeymoon and would love some recommendations for diving Australia from people who either live there or have been there before. We are open to anywhere right now and were planning on going in December 2011 since it will be summer then.
Thanks!

I did Mike Ball's Spoilsport in April 2008, their Fall. Jan thru April is their rainy season , as the new reports of the last week verify. That year they had 25 FEET for rain in Northern Queensland and therefore the viz was not what I expected - about 50 ft at most sites , over 100 feet on one site. Sea life abundant and beautiful.
December should be better. Spoilsport was first class ! Boat holds 24 divers I think, there were 11 divers and 1 snorkler the week I was there. 24 would be REALLY crowded I think. food great, crew great , would not change a thing.

This was the first week of a 25 day trip, so I rented everything. I was really glad to get back to my own gear . I was OK stuff, just not mine.

Where are you going? East coast or west coast.

As this will define where you want the suggestions.

Cheers Joel

There are a ton of posts here asking similar questions, but if you are coming to teh East coast then I guess a visit to the Barrier Reef has to be on teh agenda.

Best diving undoubtably is the trips that visit the Ribbin Reef and Coral Sea areas.

Best 2 trips would be Mike Ball and Spirit of Fredom. Taka does same trips but is a bit more budget as it does not fly you up one leg of the trip.

If your budget cant stretch to these trips (and I do strongly recommend one of these operators) then there are plenty of good ones that visit the Outer Reef areas.

See here for a few suggestions.

Cairns Live Aboard Over Night Dive Trips To The Outer Barrier Reef, Cod Hole And Coral Sea.

Back
Top Bottom