austin diver needs buddies or solo cert!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Large Hint: If you fill out your profile a bit you might find it easier to find buddies :wink:

................... :)

Welcome to the boards and TSD. You have encountered the delima of every diver without a regular group of buddies.

I would encourage you to read on the solo section of the board, I can't rememer if it's an opt in section, about that method of diving. There is some great information from some really good folk in that part of the board.

I really don't agree with this at all.

Tom

Tom's advice to read the solo section of the board is a good one.

Since I was solo as a US Navy Diver, as an active professional diver I am solo for skills most of the time when I fill this dive role. As an underwater videographer I am pretty much solo with a lot of task loading from equipment. I decided a couple years ago that there was value with certain dive boats, dive excursions, and dive locations to have the SDI solo certification in my dive bag. This would have been an excellent education 26 years ago in my diving career. If you meet the qualifications for the solo diver class and have a desire to improve all your diving skills and you want this option availble to you in your dive tool kit. I recommend taking the class as part of your diving certification skill set to continue diving with.

It is by far more fun to have reliable dive buddies to share the dive experience with.

Dive buddies are always the first choice if I have a day off to go diving.

Just my personal opinion. :no:

:popcorn:

ith.

It is by far more fun to have reliable dive buddies to share the dive experience with.

Dive buddies are always the first choice if I have a day off to go diving.

Just my personal opinion. :no:

:popcorn:

Shwan is a great guy and wonderful diver, and you talk underwater cameras he's the guy!!!

I agree it is for the most part more fun to share dive tales with a buddy. But there are allot of times durning a dive year (12 months) that there is nothing more enjoyable then a nice peaceful solo dip.....both recreational and some easier o/w tech dives.

Just my personal opinon.

:coffee:

Couple of things:

1. Take the advice of filling out your profile if you haven't done it already. That info goes a long way in finding buddies...or them "finding" you. :wink:

2. There is a lot to be said for getting the SDI Solo Diver cert. The cert isn't about diving alone. It's about being redundant and being able to resolve your own issues without having to depend on someone else. There is no inference that you can or should dive without buddies. Personally, I think it is irresponsible to approach any dive thinking someone else will be able to save your rear end if you get into trouble. Consider every dive a solo dive whether you are actually alone or diving with a dozen buddies.

If you want the best info on the Solo cert contact an instructor who actually teaches the class...Booth Divers - Home.

Hey Alan - love the new avatar :)

I like diving with buddies because SIs get boring all on your own. It's more fun to have someone to shoot the breeze with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom