Aussie diving August 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Halloooo!! Where is everyone? Hopefully underwater :)

I've been away on holidays but I'm back now and have been welcomed home with glorious weather & conditions. Got out yesterday for two great dives and despite an ill-fitting borrowed wetsuit and a regulator that decided free-flowing was the way to go, dive two was stupendous! We had dolphins, humpbacks, turtles, sharks, schools of fish, big school of batfish, olive sea snakes, mating octopus, tons of nudis and all manner of other things. Plus reasonably warm water (all computers read 24C, though I'm not sure it was really 24C LOL) and really fab viz.

Here's a few shots to get things started.
AUG13_113.jpg

AUG13_114.jpg

AUG13_109.jpg

Another two dives yesterday. Big big swell knocked out the original destinations, which was fine by me as they weren't my favourites anyway, and the more protected sites were really active. Water wasn't quite as clear and there was tons of fine sand being kicked up by a good sized surge. Great animal action including mating sweetlips doing the kissing thing (I didnt' see it but another diver got a couple of great frames!) and a humpback mom & calf taking a rest right next to the boat after dive two. Lots of breaching & playing humpies on the trip home, too. Didn't take a huge number of photos and wasn't happy with a lot of what I did take. Just one of those days when things don't come together!

AUG13_126.jpg

AUG13_125.jpg

Doc - Canon 40D, Tokina 11-17, Subal housing, Zen dome, Inon 220 + 240 for all of these so far.

---------- Post added August 9th, 2013 at 07:39 AM ----------

I feel so lonely in here!!

Got out yesterday to the Muiron Islands, the very northern end of Ningaloo Reef. The dives were lovely and everyone had a great time. I didn't find that much that interested me for photos - not because there wasn't stuff, just because there wasn't stuff for my particular interest. Still enjoyed the dives. And then on the way home we had an excellent swim with some manta rays - super fun no matter how many times you do it!

Angel getting cleaned
AUG13_128.jpg

Canon 40D, Tokina 11-17, Subal housing, Zen dome, Subal 220 + 240

Manta & buddies
AUG13_127.jpg

Panasonic TS3

Great photos, it looks like the water is dead calm over your way.

I wish I was underwater but the weather in Melbourne has been terrible this winter. This weekend is no exception strong winds all week. Last weekend was was my first dive in nearly 2 months. I had great visibility and the water temperature was 2 degrees warmer than the same time last year.

bobtail-squid-1 by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

bobtail-squid-2 by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

pygmy-squid-head-super-macro by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

blue-ring-octopus by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

skeleton-shrimp-super-macro by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

snapping-shrimp by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

swimming-anemone by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

We had a really lovely spell of weather over the past couple of weeks and now it's windy again. Getting better tomorrow and the swell is dropping off, too. Still pretty nice underwater from what I hear, but I haven't been diving in over a week now. I have high hopes for next Wednesday, my first available day!

Love the pygmy squidlies - too cute!!

Love the shots folks. We haven't had co-operative weather on this side of the land mass either. With that and work.. kept us out of the water for ages. Just got back from our trip to Lembeh. Got 25 dives and a GI bug. Not the fault of the Resort at all it is definitely a bug the way people got it in a rotation of around 54 days between new people getting sick! My system is easily hit by these things so I am still trying to beat if. Fish seems over it tho. I haven't had time to sort through all the pics but we had a great time and would go back to Critters@Lembeh in a heartbeat!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom