Aussie diving - August 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cute squid & octo!!!

I picked up a Subsee +10 while I was home. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Windier than snot here today. I haven't gotten out yet as I had a few unexpected photo jobs come up last week (yay!) and so have been slavin' away. Maybe later in the week or the weekend if the weather turns good :)

Nice stuff Bfowles, lucky for a bay to have good viz like that! and commiserations to you Alcina, been a bad year for diving conditions my way too, just got a good week then 'bang more big southerlies hit. Hopeful we have a good summer.

I still haven't been in the water since getting back from holidays - damn head/chest cold thingy!! Hope this month is better - I have new toys to play with!! What's up elsewhere?

I know the feeling. Over a month now, still got clogged Sinus and desperate to get wet again

Great shots bfowles! Love how the worm-eel is eyeing you off hah

Alcina do you work in WA and go back to another city when on holidays?

Damo whereabouts do you dive?

I havent been in the water for 2-3 months now - went to Europe and as a uni student I'm bloody piss poor (lol) after paying car rego, Green slip, insurance, a fine and uni fees. I was hoping to buy a BC and Regs once I got home, but I got four letters when I arrived home. First was tax return YAY! the next three sent me broke haha..
Booked a seal dive down in Wollongong and it was called off due to weather :( now I don't have the time to go this weekend.
#Firstworldstruggles..

I dive Brisbane mainly- anywhere along the SEQ coast(I have my own boat), but I holiday regularly also- Thailand is a favorite OS locale, but bay of islands NZ will my next trip in January.
I am a bubble nut that's for sure!

Sad predicament for you Bryce, good things take time man- you seem very committed! Knuckle down and you'll have a great diving future.
Look for secondhand stuff, you'll save a packet!

remember fines are a tax on the lack of self control...... don't be the fool that feeds them,lol

I had a couple of dives with Sundive on Saturday. It was a bit windy and cold making a pretty miserable trip out to the rock but once in the water everything got better.

8m vis and around 20 grey nurse sharks down in the wide trenches. Plenty of very pregnant females and sadly a couple with hooks stuck in their mouths. We did see one with some old scarring around it's tail, possibly from where a rope had been removed?

The cod hole was absolutely full or life, packed solid with jew fish that were well over a meter long, and heaps of brown sweetlip. A couple of big black cod too.

Another highlight was hearing the whales singing the whole time. We saw them breaching about 200+ meters away when we pulled up to the mooring but once in the water they sound like they are on top of you. It really added to the diving.

Julian rocks for us today too. Missed Ferris213 by a day! Wildlife was the same deal - we counted 24 nurse sharks, and the big black cod, sweetlip and Jew fish were still in the cod hole. Saw a very large bull ray. One good sized hawksbill turtle. Lots of nudi action. The weather was absolutely exceptional. Flat as a mill pond, no wind, and about 20m vis. Hearing whalesong under water was one of my top bucket list items. I cant believe it happened today. The whales were about 200m away today too. I'm so stoked. Still grinning. 10/10.

I took my first ever gopro video today. It is jerky, but lots of grey nurse shark action. I think I got some whalesong on there too, although I only videoed the second dive and the whales were much closer on the first. I will edit it and post it up when I have something respectable.

I think we will head back next weekend. It was really exceptional.

Here's the little video I was talking about re the diving at Byron last weekend. We didn't make it back this weekend, so it's next weekend for sure!

As I said, my first ever video, so a little bit cr*p. Suggestions welcome. No filter used. No light. Those are things I will look at fixing, plus trying to get a grip that makes stuff smoother.

Scuba Byron Bay Grey Nurse Sharks 2012 - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom