Aurora or Mermaid I?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maurillo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're THAT close, but we can't decide which one to book. Mermaid I has the last budget cabin available, whereas there is still more choice on the Aurora.

Experience/Preference?

Thanks!

I have been on Mermaid I several times (including in the budget cabin) and had great experiences all times.

The budget cabins are below decks - no windows. Air from the aircon only. The staircase down is kinda steep. There is a top bunk and a bottom bunk. You have to go down to the room between dives to change to dry clothes, kind of a PITA.

OTOH I love the way there are showers on the dive deck, and the dive deck is just a few steps from the tenders. For me, the single most important thing in choosing a LOB is how easy it is to get onto the tender from the dive deck. Mermaid is great in this respect.

I have never been on Aurora. Many LOBs have long staircases from the dive deck to the tenders.

- Bill

Hi Maurillo, I have been on each of them twice. I think the Mermaid 1 is a bit better. But I don't know about the budget cabins on the Mermaid 1. The cabins on the Aurora are all below deck. The Mermaid 1 is a metal boat, no sails. The Aurora is a wooden phinisi type boat with sails - they always use their motor, but may unfurl their sails on the last day for photos which is very picturesque.

On the Mermaid 1, the crew was very good and knowledgeable both times. On the Aurora, once very good and knowledgeable, and once good. Food was very good on both boats, maybe better on the Mermaid 1. The diving deck set up on the Mermaid 1 is better. The guests on the Aurora tend to be mostly Italian (Italian owned boat, I was told). The Mermaid guests tend to be from all over.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom