Augusta, GA/Clark Hill Diving this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Four of us dove East Clark Hill Dam Saturday and two returned for dives Sun. Vis was 12 -15' and water temp was between 51 degrees.

Saturday, we started our dive with a descent to the three big rocks (today at 50') and turned northeast and angled up to the pool filters and 40' ledge. We dropped down to the angel statue and continued north through the trench (could see both sides today). Exiting to the left of the trnech we swam along the 65' ledge, then dropped down to the 80' wall. We swam along the 80' wall past the dive flag and beyond. We then angled upward to the west to the 3 big rock and then to the plane (plane at 32' today). We followed the line down the bouyancy course and the ski boat. We then swam west along the dam rocks until down to 850 psi. We made our turn East and finished an extended safety stop. Dive time 1:02, max depth 85.' No lights needed the entire dive.

Sunday, we decided to see if the small hatchlings had started to appear at the big stump. A challenging dive day with 2-3' seas due to the strong NE wind. Air temp 52. We started our dive with a descent to the three big rocks and turned northeast and angled up to the pool filters and 40' ledge. We dropped down to the angel statue and continued north through the trench. We exited the trench to the right today and swam along the 55' wall. Vis was great today, 15' or so in spots. No lights need the entire dive. At the big stump, we found a large school of small hatchlings. After observing them a while we dropped down the north wall to 70' for a bit then angled upward and South to the big pine (intact large pine with limbs and stump laying on it's side from 35' -15'. We continued past the pipe and dropped back down to the 35' ledge for a while before angling upward to the 15' dropoff to finish our dive with a 10 min swimming safety stop. Dive time 1:02, max depth 68'. Good finds today, rod and reel, nice stainless caribiner, etc.

So, completley unrelated to your diving, but... about how far is Clark hill lake from Athens? I'm gonna be living in Athens this fall and hoping there's somewhere nearby to get a dive or two in.

yeah, Google maps say about 1:50, but I have driven it in about 1 1/2 hours. Lanier may be a little closer for you still, but hey Augusta offers variety and no cost to dive at Clark Hill (except for west dam parking fee, free on E. Dam. where we usually dive) We have an airplane to dive on in 35' of water, depths to 120', interesting wall at 80' and other stuff. From what reports I've read from the looney bird folks, our lake sounds a little warmer. Also, excepting periods of rain, we have a nice river dive with a shipwreck in 15' of water and a nice 1 hour dift dive that gives you the opportunity to explore the remains of the old Hamburg cotton docks and bridge with assorted wildlife. We stretch this dive out to almost two hours in the summer. Give a shout when you can come this way. You are welcome to join our group for some diving.

I'd love to. I will definetely let y'all know when I get settled down there (probably sometime this summer)

DawgDiver:
I'd love to. I will definetely let y'all know when I get settled down there (probably sometime this summer)

Summer tis the best time for multiple dives each day and would make your trip most worth while. Two dive shops in town for tank refills between dives.

We are diving Saturday at 9:45a at Clark Hill East Dam. All are welcome. We have about 5 diving with us so far. It is supposed to be sunny though cool. I plan to dive Sunday at 1p as well - some folks say there is some other sporting event happening Sunday afternoon/evening, but if it ain't diving it ain't a sport, Gosh, I hope I don't have a wetsuit/wardrobe malfunction this year:D

Wish I could join you. I still have two more weeks before I can get back in the water! Yet, the Lasik procedure was worth it. So far 20/15.
:monkeydan

dschulte:
Wish I could join you. I still have two more weeks before I can get back in the water! Yet, the Lasik procedure was worth it. So far 20/15.

20/15 -What some people will do to get that extra edge on the shark teeth/artifact dives:D

You missed a great dive today. Just David and I hit E. Dam, Clark Hill this morning. The temp, wind and waves kept the riff-raff (read: folks still in possession of their sanity) away. Air temp at entry and exit was 33 degrees (at least it wasn't freezing:D ). Water temp varied a little. My computer had 46 for the lowest temp, David's had 49 degrees. We began our dive angling downward to the three big rocks, headed northeast past the pool filters to the 40' ledge. We need to replace the gnome statue there as it is showing its age. Vis was great 10-15'. We dropped down to the angel statue (cleaned it off a bit) at 50' today and swam through the trench exiting to the right. We dropped down to the 100' wall and swam a portion of it. We didn't need or use our lights at all today. Saw Catfish Beauregard at the bottom of the wall. Since he couldn't see his shadow at that depth does this mean an early spring? The wall was way cool today in the dim light and great vis. We angled upward through the forest (also nice today) to the 55' wall. We continued north along the wall to the big stump. Lots of hatchlings still around. We then dropped down the North Wall (again nice today) and made our turn South at 30 minutes into the dive. We angled upward past the sunken tree, the pipe and onward to the 40' ledge. We dropped back downward to the three big rocks briefly (yeah, a little bit of sawtooth diving here) and then headed upward to the airplane. After a few minutes there, we swam along the bouyancy course to the ski boat and then headed up to our safety stop, swimming east back towards shore (8 min safety stop). Dive was to max depth of 102', dive time was 1:03. Needless to say, a very quick change from the wetsuit in the parking lot :D . A great day diving.

diveprof:
20/15 -What some people will do to get that extra edge on the shark teeth/artifact dives:D

You missed a great dive today. Just David and I hit E. Dam, Clark Hill this morning. The temp, wind and waves kept the riff-raff (read: folks still in possession of their sanity) away. Air temp at entry and exit was 33 degrees (at least it wasn't freezing:D ). ... Needless to say, a very quick change from the wetsuit in the parking lot :D . A great day diving.

I have to get some edge when diving with you. Considering the amount of rain and the lack of vis in the river this winter, there should be some good finds for those who brave it first.

33 degrees, well at least it was not 19 degrees! It hurt me so bad to stand there letting my drysuit freeze while you did the its fripping cold dance. :1poke:

Did Dave remember to zip his wetsuit this time?

Back
Top Bottom