August Trip Report - Part 1: Chichen Itza

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kat

Contributor
Reaction score
My boyfriend & I went for 16 days to Mexico & Belize. We stayed at 5 different hotels & used every mode of transportation we could find. I have tried to break the trip report into small sections, to make it easier to read through.

Land trip: Chichen Itza - no diving.

Friday Aug. 4th - travel day.Starting trip on the right foot. Flying employee/stand-by & coach is sold out. We are put in 1st class f/ no additional charge.:D
Arrive in Cancun & head right over to the ADO bus to downtown Cancun. We are heading to Chichen Itza for the first 2 days of our trip. I had been advised to take the 2nd class bus as it stops directly in front of our hotel. Very true, but what I should have done was take the 1st class bus to Valladolid & then take a 2nd class bus from there. The bus ride is as long as the flight. We check into the little hotel Dolores Alba, swim in the pool for a while & then have dinner.
Saturday Aug. 5th
A nice couple staying at our hotel gives us a lift to the ruins. We get to the ruins when they open & there are only a handful of people there. You are no longer allowed to climb El Castillo, which was a huge disappointment for us. But we were told that they may reopen it.
We had a terrific map of the ruins, from Map Chick ( www.cancunmap.com ) We saw everything. It never did get super crowded. There were some tour buses, but not like I'd expected. However, it rained on & off, from heavy downpours with lightning to light showers. So that might have helped keep the turistas to a minimum. By mid to late afternoon it was sunny. We had lunch at Chichen Itza & then returned to our hotel.
Across the highway from our hotel is the cenote Il Kil. We bought our tickets at the hotel & crossed the highway. I was not expecting much but we were pleasantly surprised. There was a staircase leading down to the cenote. Two ladders to get in & out of the water. And another staircase that goes nowhere & is just for jumping and diving off. A couple small waterfalls (man-made, but still nice) We swam until they kicked us out at closing, we had a blast! I asked the caretaker if anyone scuba dives the cenote but he said it is not allowed. His english was not the best & my spanish is non-existent so further questions were not possible.
We went back to our hotel, which had 2 pools & swam in the 'magical cenote' pool. Had dinner & then caught the hotel shuttle back to Chichen Itza for the evening light show. Unless you speak spanish, you'll need to rent the headsets. The light show was very informative & we enjoyed it very much.
Sun. Aug. 6th - travel day
So we eat breakfast, pay our bill & drag our 2 dive bags across the highway to catch the bus. About 30 min. later our bus pulls up & we go back to Valladolid. I get us on a 1st class bus to Playa del Carmen and off we go.

Continued in Part 2 - Majahual

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom