August 30, 2009 report: Big Sur boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dove Sunday on the Cypress Sea for a BAUE recreational charter. The plan was to head south of Big Sur. Things looked sketchy in the morning, as predictions were calling for 20-30 knot winds by the afternoon, and as we motored out, the sea around Monterey was gray and choppy, white caps peppering the surface.

Luckily, it seemed we were able to outrun the rough seas, and the sun really burned through the marine layer as we got to our destination. We enjoyed three amazing dives, at Compost (a tall, thin pinnacle that sticks up like a pole off the sea floor), Partington Canyon, and Pfeiffer Arch. All of these sites seem to be characterized by dramatic topography and structure, and BIG fish - even the everpresent schools of blue and black rockfish had some sizable individuals.

I only had my camera for the first two dives, so of course all the novel and amazing stuff came out on the third, including a small red eel of unknown identity (the first true eel I've seen in CA). Interestingly, we also saw a couple of submerged PISCO experiment floats out by the arch, with decorator crabs hanging off of them trying to pry what I imagine was food out of a mesh tin.

I got violently seasick on the way back to Monterey, even though I tried my best to stayed well-medicated. Next time, Time to switch up medications and stock up on ginger, rare earth magnets and voodoo dolls!

Higher resolution version here: Diving Big Sur

Yeah, I can't imagine anything I'd want to do less than bounce along at 7 knots against that northern swell I saw on Sunday all the way back from the Point Sur lighthouse. The Cypress Sea can take heavy weather better than most but DAMN, I'll bet it took you guys a good three hours to motor the entire way back, eh?

That sounds about right, but being there, it felt like 8 hours! We got back to port at around 6:15pm I think. On the way back, I just held my head in my hands thinking "Jump off the boat, jump off right now and never get on another boat." As soon as we got back in the harbor I was thinking "that was an awesome trip, when's are we going out again?" Guess that's the benefit of having a short memory!

Nice Job,

Ken I like the way you got the divers with their lights on, it looked like a mini squadron in search of what the ocean hides...

MG

My pics from the day are here. Topside snapshots are in a sub gallery which you won't see if you just play the slideshow.

3 Dives South of Pt Sur

Kenn - nice video. Also after talking with Matt I think your eel was probably a juvenile wolf eel.

Truly a (much needed) nice day on the ocean.

Clinton

Ahhh, beautiful! Thanks for sharing ;-)!

Nice Job,

Ken I like the way you got the divers with their lights on, it looked like a mini squadron in search of what the ocean hides...

Thanks Mike, that's one of my favorite shots of the day too, it's like watching an artillery line roll by. Seeing it reminds me of how great it is to be able to jump on a charter at the 11th hour and still instantly be on the same page as everyone else, even if I've never dived with them before! It made for a tremendously relaxed and comfortable dive day.

Here's the original 4:3 from the camera:
985ydh.jpg

Also after talking with Matt I think your eel was probably a juvenile wolf eel.

Truly a (much needed) nice day on the ocean.

Agreed, though it sounds like the Kitties had a few nice R3-profile dive this weekend as well! I wish I got a closer look at the juvie wolf, it really looked less...leathery than Itchy/Scratchy.

Got me all excited for House this season! LOL

Smelly - you're not the first person who mentioned that...but what's even more interesting is that (purely coincidentally), one of the people I dived with that day also has the last name "House" :)

Fun Diving!!! hehehe.... You called my name Kenn??? ;-)

Dionna

Great report, video and pics Kenn and Clinton. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom