August 2013 Roll call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nuub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all -
My sister and I are headed to Bonaire from Aug 23 - 31, staying at Sand Dollar and using Dive Friends. Just checking to see if anyone else wants to say hello or meetup with a couple of novices! Dining and diving are usually better with company. :wink:

If you don't get any responses, walk next door to Buddy Dive's bar and ask around. At one time you could walk along the waterfront but that may've changed. You also share the "beach" and dock with Den Laman to the south. I was asked once at the rinse tank in front of your resort while waiting for my buddy and we weren't even staying there - just diving Bari Reef. Den Laman's deck/restaurant is right in front of it now also. You might post/find someone here also: Diving Bonaire

If you're on the Houston red-eye it's mostly divers also. We met two groups waiting for the flight (my buddies dive t-shirt was a giveaway) and later dove with one of them. Met the other group twice leaving a site we were driving into. It's a pretty small place and most people in most of the restaurants at night are/with a diver. Since just about everybody's package includes a 4dr. truck it's pretty easy logistically.

Will be there the 17th thru the 24th--@ Buddy's........will try NOT to mess the island up too badly for ya'll.......:)

Come by the nite of the 23rd & we can shake hands & say hello & good-bye all in the same breath...

Last edited:
This'll be my second dive trip abroad and really looking forward to it! Good tip about the airport - I'll make sure to wear my LDS t shirt! I'm hoping it's OK for folks to hang at buddys restaurant, etc. w/o staying there? We tried to stay at Buddys but they were sold out of 2BDRs :( and neither of us wanted to sleep on a couch for a week.
Any tips on specific 2BDR condos to avoid, or get is appreciated!

We've gone there without staying there. I've been to most of the popular dive resorts in that area for diving, dinner or drinks - never stayed at any of them. Most encourage non-resort guests since there's really no AI's until Plaza becomes one this fall. Then the issue might be paying. Although I'm sure Coconut Crash Bar will still take our money next time...

There's also a ocean view bar, Rumrunners and the Pizza Kitchen at Habitat. Been to all 3. Next to Buddy's.

IDK Condo #'s at Sand Dollar but the southern ones are closer to the Bari Reef dock. I did read somewhere that there's been some conflict about it's use since Dive Friends moved into Sand Dollar with Bonaire Dive/Adventure but IDK any details. There's also ladders over the ironshore at Sand Dollar also. But nice wide steps off the Bari Dock...lol

Like diversteve said, you're welcome to spend your time and money at the resort restaurants and bars. We stop by Buddy Dive on Fridays for the weekly Manager's Rum Punch Party at 5:00 PM, live music by Moogie, and we sometimes stay for the oceanfront BBQ buffet. A similar activity, also with Moogie, happens on Mondays from 6 to 7 PM at Captain Don's Habitat. Make sure to take a few minutes to visit with Captain Don if he's there.

We'll be on the redeye the night of 23rd... we'll have to wave to you in the air! :D

Back
Top Bottom