Aug Dive Conditions & Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Aug 5, 2003 Topaz Jetty Redondo Beach
Dive Time 2:14pm.-3:01pm 47:00 min
09:01 PDT 1.99 feet Low Tide
16:01 PDT 5.49 feet High Tide
Max depth 58 ft
Vis above 40 feet – 5 feet to maybe 10
Vis below 40 feet 10-15 feet
Water Temp above 21 feet 70F Suunto degrees
Water Temp below 21 feet 63F Suunto degrees
Surge – 1 to 2 feet
Surf on entry 2 foot
Surf on exit 3-4 foot

Spotted several small 2 inch fish at 20 feet. Usual small sand dabs etc. Did see one Mantis Shrimp out walking around. Very interesting, but don’t touch!
:wacko:

Dive time: 8:54-9:45 a.m. 51:30 min.
Max Depth: 43 FSW Temp Max depth: 55F Suunto degree
Surface Temp: 75F or so. Sunny and beautiful
Tank AL 80 SCFM 0.47

Ocean, can you spell pancake flat? Swell model was at 1Ft. Vis at depth was 10-15 feet or so, but very cloudy at 15 feet on the way back in it got to zero about 100 yards off shore.

Entered off the sandy beach at the bottom of the stairs and swam out to the far kelp bed. Not a lot of fish, a few Garibaldi, Calico Bass, but not a lot of fish. Surge came up at the end of the dive and we had to fight quite a little current to get back to the beach.

Aug 10, 2003
Malaga Cove/RAT beach

entered approx 9:50, exit approx 11:00
57 Suunto degrees
64:00
19 ft.

viz - 15 ft, but not as green as it has been

Easy surf entry and exit.

South Haggerties Palos Verde, CA Aug 15, 2003
Time: 4:41 p.m. to 5:37 p.m.56:50 min
Vis – a hazy 5-10 feet
Max Depth 27 FSW
Water Temp Surface 68F Sunnoto degrees Max depth temp: 66 F sunnoto degrees
Swell- 1-2 ft
Surf 2-3 Ft.
Entered the water at the end of the trail west of the pool, next to the storm drain. Then swam west out to the old pier pilings and a bit past. Usual suspects, calico bass, Garibaldi, lobsters, Senorita, Opal eye, blacksmith. Saw lots of large crab molts.

Vets Park Redondo Beach, CA Aug 15, 2003
Time 8:28 – 9:00 p.m. 32:10 min
Vis: 10-15 and pretty clear below 15 feet
Max Depth 86 FSW
Water temp surface: 59F Sunnoto degrees. Max depth temp: 57F Sunnoto degrees (more like 54F).
Swell 1-2 ft.
Surf 2-3 Feet
Entered at bottom of stairs and went straight out. Dropped down in 78 Feet of water. Swam West for a short while and then started back. Usual suspects, few octopi, small sand dabs, small crabs.

Cress St., Laguna Beach
8/16/03
Went out with southcoastdivers.com, well I guess I should say I surface swam with them, since dropping in was like going into soup. Rest of the dive was on my own, until the surface swim back.

5 foot viz, lots of particulate
61 Suunto degrees
heavy surge

Swam out to the third reef and dropped in there.

Saw a free swimming eel out feeding during the daytime, that was odd, but cool. Also large supermale sheephead. Nice to see the spearos haven't gotten them all.

Surf kicked up dramatically at exit, making it interesting for some - 4 -5 footers, but rollers, not slammers.

We are running out of August here, but today I was on a trip to the oil rigs off of Huntington Beach (Eureka, Ellen, & Ellie), and conditions were surprisingly good after the first 20-30 feet or so. Below the top layer, things were quite clear, if a little dark. The anemones were colorful, and we were visited by seals. One thing - the clear water was cold - 53 degrees at about 50-60 feet.

Back
Top Bottom