ATX50 + AT40 first stage questions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmbaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi! I need some advice as I have read most posts on Apeks here
on the board and am still a little confused.

I am thinking of updating my 10yr old US Divers Conshelf to an
Apeks ATX50 + AT40 octo with a either a DST or the DS4 first stage and wanted to get some opinions of why or why not to go with the DST or DS4 first stage.

<<questions to follow soon :)>>

from what I found:
The DST first stage has one port 1/2", 3 ports 3/8" LP mounted on a swivel turret and 2 HP ports 7/16".

1)Is the 7/16" HP port standard size? should I be able to switch my SPG over from my old reg?

2) Is having only 1 HP port a big deal? if so, is the DST first stage better and then buy a converter plug for the 1/2" port?

some more info that might help. I dive with a wesuit, I am non DIR..sorry guys, there is still time :)

thanks

I've got a TX50 with the DST and just bought a couple TX40s with the DS4. Go with the DS4. I always found the DST to rotate just enought that it would irritate me because my head hit the hoses so i had to reach back and rotate them out of place. The DS4 seems to have the perfect hose placement and the hoses dont rotate into an annoying position and hit my head any more.

steve

1. I own a DST. It has standard HP ports.
2. Having just one HP port is all you need unless you are diving an AI computer and do not trust it. Then another HP port comes handy for a simple backup SPG.

The HP port is standard.

The guts of the DST and DS4 are identical, so it all comes down to if you want a turret and a second HP port.

I see the turret as an additional failure point, so if it were me I'd go with the DS4.

Roak

Ditto to wetman's comments - I find the DST swivel turret to be an annoying feature. But I keep it because of the 2 HP ports - one is an AI transmitter, the other an SPG.

thanks for the helpful input. Now all I have to do is figure out a way to pay for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom