ATX200- Yoke to DIN, or DIN to Yoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Question
Considering a new reg, ATX200. 90% of my current diving opportunities are yoke, but I have a friend that has DIN tanks. There is also the possibiltiy of other DIN diving possibilities in my future. So perhaps 80% of my diving will be Yoke.

Given the above usage scenario, is it better to get a DIN reg, and use the yoke converter (which would represent most of my diving) or get the yoke reg, and dive with the DIN adaptor on the minority 20% dives?

I am wondering if one adapter is less bulky and easier to use than the other...

I have the din reg with the yoke adaptor. If I'm diving yoke, it sucks. Nail the back of my head on it constantly. I think it might be smaller if you get yoke and a din conversion.

jagfish:
Question
Considering a new reg, ATX200. 90% of my current diving opportunities are yoke, but I have a friend that has DIN tanks. There is also the possibiltiy of other DIN diving possibilities in my future. So perhaps 80% of my diving will be Yoke.

Given the above usage scenario, is it better to get a DIN reg, and use the yoke converter (which would represent most of my diving) or get the yoke reg, and dive with the DIN adaptor on the minority 20% dives?

As far as your friends tanks, unless he has 300 bar valves, you can use the yoke with inserts.

AFAIK, the only way to use a yoke reg with DIN tanks, without using inserts, would be with a filling adaptor. And I certainly would't use one of those for diving.
I think you'll find that, unless 300 bar valves are used, the easiest way to go is using inserts in the valves.

This really depends on why you think you need 20% DIN use.

MD

jagfish:
Question

I may be mistaken about this but...

1) If you have a DIN regulator you can dive a tank with a DIN only valve.

2) If you have a DIN regulator you can dive a tank with a Yoke only valve by using a separate adaptor. (this may cause the regulator to bump into the back of your head)

3) If you have a Yoke regulator you can dive a tank with a Yoke only valve.

4) If you have a Yoke regulator you CAN NOT dive a tank with a DIN only valve. (adaptors this direction are for filling tanks only, not for diving)

5) You can have both the DIN and Yoke fittings for your regulator but switching between the two would require the use of tools and take some time. You would also need to be careful not to get the parts wet, as you are now working on parts considered to be inside the first stage. You would also want to lubricate the O-Rings with an O2 compatible lubricant. You could make this swap before a dive trip based on the valves you expect to encounter.

For me, I switched from Yoke to DIN, but kept the old parts so I can change back if I need to.

Mark Vlahos

I'll second what others are saying:

My regs are DIN and I primarily dive DIN tanks. I do have a DIN to Yoke adapter but don't really enjoy using it. My suggestion is that you get the connector that you will use the majority of the time.

The DIN to Yoke donut inserts work well to adapt a DIN tank for Yoke usage, assuming they are not 300 bar.

I thought about this for quite awhile before buying my ATX200 as well. About 90% of my diving was while traveling, and usually renting tanks in the Keys & the Caribbean. Therefore, I decided to get a yoke reg, knowing full well that cavern and/or wreck is likely coming down the pipe.

I'm now sick of renting tanks for local quarries, and am looking to purchase. Since I'm going to be owning my own tanks, I'd like to convert to DIN. My understanding (haven't yet gone to chat w/ the LDS) is that there is a CONVERSION (not an add-on adaptor) kit to change my yoke 1st stage to DIN. My plan is to buy DIN tanks, get the DIN conversion kit, have the LDS teach me how to swap between the yoke & DIN setups, and dive DIN when close to home. Before a dive trip to "look at pretty fishies" in the Caribbean, I'll just swap my reg back to yoke & take that on the trip.

I've heard from several people (including what you've read in this thread) that the DIN to yoke adaptor can provide a head-banging experience for many.... That's why I didn't opt for that route.

(Does anyone see any problems with the plan I've outlined above?)

Jim

One thing to remember about the insert (or donut) to convert a valve from DIN to Yoke. The valve needs to have the dimple on the back for the stem on the Yoke. Without this dimple even if the insert fits and will make a good seal it will not work with a Yoke regulator. Trying to dive like that is asking for disaster. More than just a blown O-Ring, heck the regulator could fall completely fall off!

I am not suggesting that any of the people who posted the insert solution would condone its use without the valve being designed for it, I am only bringing this up to clear up an innocent ommision.

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
I may be mistaken about this but...

3) If you have a Yoke regulator you can dive a tank with a Yoke only valve.

4) If you have a Yoke regulator you CAN NOT dive a tank with a DIN only valve. (adaptors this direction are for filling tanks only, not for diving)

Mark Vlahos

You can also put a yoke on a combo yoke/DIN valve. The only "DIN only" valve is a 300 bar. 200 and 232 bar valves commonly both take yokes if used with donut inserts.

MD

GoBlue nailed it. The question was about an ATX200.

Jagfish - with an Apeks reg, you can swap out and actually convert (not adapt) a reg from Yoke to DIN or vice versa in about 30 seconds. On an Apeks, it's DIRT SIMPLE. All you need is a wrench and a 6mm Hex key.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom