ATX DS4 first stage blow out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The o-ring and filter are missing in the pictures
View attachment 571545

It takes several turns until the o-ring seals both the housing and the connector. If the connector is loose, it will leak.
If the housing was blown off the connector, it must have turned loose nearly all the way. That would have been visible, since the black spacer doesn't line up anymore. So the problem occured during disassembly at the previous dive.

Tightening the connector with a torque of 20Nm is required to keep it in place.
This...exactly. The filter and o-ring are missing and the torque for the din connector on a DS4 is 20 nm. As long as nothing is damaged, buy a DS4 service kit to get the filter and o-ring and reassemble and you should be good to go. If you found the filter you are in even better shape since that o-ring is the same as a blanking plug o-ring so is easier to source. If the threads are damaged then you may need a new DIN connector and/or a new body depending on the extent of the damage. Luckily not a big problem and certainly easy to fix. In the below diagram you are missing 25 and 26 (unless you found them when it happened).

apeks-1-stage-ds4-800px.jpg

Thanks all for the feedback. It makes logical sense that the din body wasn't screwed completely into the connector and may have loosened out with time. But I'm very thorough with assembling gear and I definitely would have noticed if there was that much space between the reg body and the tank/connector. I always double check everything.

Ive sent it to Apeks service provider to double check. I'll keep an eye out in the future for loose threading.

Cheers.

One shop I deal with offers to put a drop of Loc-tite on the internal DIN threads to prevent this. I always turned him down since (a) I have no idea what's in Loc-tite, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to breathe it (although I don't think it's possible) and (b) I'm pretty sure sticking an adhesive into the reg might affect the warranty.

You're faith in Apeks is shaken, but they really are bomb-proof, but you need to check that fitting is tight and don't use the body of the 1st stage as a lever to loosen your reg. I routinely stick an Allen Key into mine if give it a 20 nm grunt just to be safe. It would suck big time to have that let do at 200' or so.

One shop I deal with offers to put a drop of Loc-tite on the internal DIN threads to prevent this. I always turned him down since (a) I have no idea what's in Loc-tite, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to breathe it (although I don't think it's possible) and (b) I'm pretty sure sticking an adhesive into the reg might affect the warranty.

You're faith in Apeks is shaken, but they really are bomb-proof, but you need to check that fitting is tight and don't use the body of the 1st stage as a lever to loosen your reg. I routinely stick an Allen Key into mine if give it a 20 nm grunt just to be safe. It would suck big time to have that let do at 200' or so.
Actually, Mares routinely includes Loctite 242 blue thread locker use on yoke threads, and Loctite 222 purple thread locker on DIN threads. So it’s not just a make-do hack.

To add- these are shop regs which my students use. The only explanation I can think of is that students must have twisted the reg body occasionally when they unscrew the din connector from the tank and over time it has become loose. I'll keep an eye out in future and routinely tighten with an Allen key to be safe.

Actually, Mares routinely includes Loctite 242 blue thread locker use on yoke threads, and Loctite 222 purple thread locker on DIN threads. So it’s not just a make-do hack.

I’m not sure if they spec it for their newer regs, but Dive Rite used to use Loctite on their regs as well.

This is probably the most common 1st stage failure I see on dive trips. Loose and leaking DIN fitting caused by torqueing the body to unscrew the DIN. They don't usually fall off but these loosen and needing tightening all the time. I think I need some loctite in my Save-a-dive kit.

I’m not sure if they spec it for their newer regs, but Dive Rite used to use Loctite on their regs as well.
Mares specs Loctite 415 now on newer regs.

these are shop regs which my students use.
Ah! I was having a hard time rationalizing how a diver of your experience had this happen. Now it's clearer. Well, you can't check everything every time. My condolences.

Ah! I was having a hard time rationalizing how a diver of your experience had this happen. Now it's clearer. Well, you can't check everything every time. My condolences.

Yes. I have to say I am slightly embarrased that I didnt catch it. I always check my students kit once theyve setup. This student didnt wait and went ahead and pressurised as soon as he kit up.

Luckily no damage done. Apeks service just sent it back- new filter and o-ring and good to go.

thanks all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom