Attracting sharks with sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EANx

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Anybody know of means of attracting sharks with the use of accoustic methods? Any suggestions of sound makers I can use that are used elsewhere to find sharks?

we use a small water bottle. Take it to depth then fill it half full with water, you will need to use your octo to get some of the water out... then cap it..

then squeeze it vigourously!

I second the small water bottle. Haven't tried it locally as the sharks are generally around anyway, but have first hand experience elsewhere. We weren't as fussy as Mike - we simply had an empty one with some air in it and squeaked it. Seemed to work just fine.

i also like to add small rocks or some nuts and bolts in the bottle for added sound.

the theory is the cracking of the bottle emulates the noise of fish bones being broken.. ie feeding

The only foolproof method of attracting sharks is when your camera batteries go dead.

Mike Veitch:
we use a small water bottle. Take it to depth then fill it half full with water, you will need to use your octo to get some of the water out... then cap it..

then squeeze it vigourously!
A DM friend of mine did that on a dive in Thailand and sure enough we we being circled by a couple of reef sharks in minutes. One even came in for a closeup.
It really works.

Bill51:
The only foolproof method of attracting sharks is when your camera batteries go dead.
:rofl3: Oh yeah, that methods has worked for me as well

Not certain if this is a bona fide method of attracing sharks but I was on a shark feed years ago over in the Bahamas with Stuart Cove. I had the SB103 strobe unattached to the tray and outstretched above my head for some top lighting effects. A couple sharks veered off in my direction while the strobe was recharging (and giving off that characteristic high pitched hum) and all of a sudden I felt a tug and let go. As I looked up to see what was going on I noticed one of the sharks had my strobe in its mouth. Second or two later the shark opened its mouth and the strobe fell back down towards the sand.

Needless to say the strobe was flooded so I shot the rest of the dive with ambient light. Since then I have always thought that the sound of that capacitor circuit in the strobe must have been the attracting force for the shark.

'Slogger

I'd add that the water bottle to use is the hard plastic disposable kind, not the soft plastic workout kind.

Good:
Water_Bottle_med.jpg

Bad:
crc_bottle_2199_detail.jpg

Oddly, I also have had sharks exceptionally interested (to the point of flooding) in my strobes.

All the best, James

I double dog dare someone to try that trick around the Marin/Sonoma/Mendocino coast known as the Red Triangle. Maybe your dive buddy will make it back and let us know how it went?

Back
Top Bottom