Attn: Captains for the Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the captains when they run charters out there have their hands full and do not have the time to clean their buoys, this is where a good divemaster will show some initiative and take on the challenge themselves while on a safety stop or just snorkeling on the surface (even when the water is a little chilly).
Or you can just tie a scraper off on the subsurface buoy. A few years ago while diving a mid-Keys wreck (Thunderbolt??), while hanging out at safety stop I noticed something tied off to the subsurface buoy. Once I picked up the putty knife, I just naturally scraped away on the buoy for the remainder of my safety stop. :bounce:

Just make sure that what you tie off to your balls wont hurt 'em when scraping. :banana:

A PUTTY knife! DUH! I didn't even think of it. That is a great idea! I'm all over it, putting one in my save-a-dive kit right now!

I cleaned mine (the doubles attached to the structure above the flags) on our New Years Eve dive, so you may have mine confused with someone elses).

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

It's easy to confuse them when the water temp is 68 degrees!:eyebrow:

I consider it a community service!

Ummmmm, Donna darling.....you really don't need to do things like that......men are spoiled by us enough. There are some things that are just their responsibility to maintain as a part of a decent civilized society..

Captain Daves were very 'hairy' with long brown growth on them. Captain Ron's (though they are smaller) were covered in a grimey brown growth. Captain Douglas (his are the biggest ones out there) also needed maintenance.

So on the second dive I scraped and cleaned all your balls (buoys)! They were a mess! You know that you are not the only ones who use your balls,

this post is just too funny..... :rofl3:

it is good to see there are so many people concerned with the Oriskay's balls. Donna, a brila pad, putty knife, I think we should find something a little easier don't you. Now on the serious note. why don't we all come up with something to help Capt. Dave out with the Flags. He has been spending money out of his pocket to maintain them.

:shakehead: I agree with Denise.....
It is obsurd that an angel like you would have to deal with all of these men's dirty balls. I hope you have received as payment at least a keg of Miller Lite for this coming weekend. I am pm'ing you my cell # so we can discuss these hairy slime balls and other dive plans and tall tales.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Kristal

Ummmmm, Donna darling.....you really don't need to do things like that......men are spoiled by us enough. There are some things that are just their responsibility to maintain as a part of a decent civilized society..

Or you can just tie a scraper off on the subsurface buoy. .......:

great idea... over christmas i was cleaning a mooring line during my stop as it was so weighed down with growth the captain had trouble finding it

and :clapping: to seadoggirl for her community service and making me laugh!

For those who served and made the ultimate sacrifice aboard the USS Oriskany we placed the American flag on Her during the summer solstis of "06" followed by the POW flag shortly after.
Those two flags are one of the reasons I'm a diver today. I haven't gotten to dive the O yet, but I saw a picture of the flags and I decided I wanted to see them for myself. I hope to get that chance in May. :)

Back
Top Bottom