Attachment points

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsnorman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently completed my solo certification using side mount as my redundant gas (over the initial objection of my not side mount friendly instructor, but I convinced her to treat my second tank as a big pony and kept gas off on right tank except for oog exercises). My rig is an apeks wsx25 using loop bungees, with lower attachment to the sliding D rings on waist for al tanks, or rear fixed d rings for steelies.

With solo, however, I found I needed more attachment points than I had easily available. 2x cutting tools, lights, dsmb plus safety sausage, extra mask, visual signaling device, 2x audible signaling devices... Mostly clipped to my shoulder d rings (except dsmb in butt pouch, and extra mask strapped to a thigh pocket, and I put one of my knives on should strap tucked under d ring).

With all of that extra gear, my shoulder d rings were pretty overloaded (and I also use my right shoulder d ring to secure my inflator, plus a clip for my long hose..)

Plus, I always have a big camera rig which I usually clip to the shoulder D rings also when I need hands free.

Anyway, I quickly realized the my much loved minimalist wsx might be too minimalist for solo diving. I just could not come up with any good solution for more attachment points for all my solo diving Christmas tree ornaments. Maybe I could add D rings above the should D ring but that would ride pretty high on my shoulder? Nothing possible on waist belt due to sliding D rings.

Curious what others do for adding attachment points.

Am considering Hollis rig due to the built in attachment rings on side, but I am really comfortable with my wsx and hate to change up.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Clip lights to D rings and have them on your shoulders above D rings. I dive SM and run my backup lights the same way. Use bungee loops to hold lights on shoulders.

Do your diving conditions warrant hauling that much stuff? You sound way overloaded.

I don’t carry a knife. I have two line cutters, one on each of my computer straps.

Another solution would be to stop diving aluminums. Steels would free up your belt.

Clip lights to D rings and have them on your shoulders above D rings. I dive SM and run my backup lights the same way. Use bungee loops to hold lights on shoulders.

Do your diving conditions warrant hauling that much stuff? You sound way overloaded.

I don’t carry a knife. I have two line cutters, one on each of my computer straps.
Okay good solution for lights. As far as all that gear, it is really just for solo diving where in theory I should have backups for any failure point. In reality I have dived solo with no dsmb at all relatively shallow 60 ft, few boats, and minimal current. So in the right conditions I could free up some space. But if I was deep with current and in an area where I could get far from shore .. I think I would want most of that for solo.

And yes, my HP steels are great for lake Michigan where I can bring them in my car, but hard to drag down to the Caribbean much less Indonesia!

Maybe you need two SM rigs. One for traveling and aluminums. Another for steels at home.

Sounds like you also need more pockets. You should look into the tech shorts with pockets to wear over your suit if it doesn’t have pockets. SMB and a spool can go in a pocket. Still seems like way too much stuff.

You can also move one of your lights to a hand mount and the others to the pouch. Line cutters over the shoulder or on your computer/compass strap straps or bungees. And you should have plenty of space for signaling devices between your pouch and pockets, no? If not, I’d get a bigger pouch.

Also, doesn’t the apeks have a b ring or other attachment point on top of your butt? You could easily carry a DSMB and spool clipped to that, freeing up more pouch space.

I'll pretty much echo the previous posters on my first three points.
  • You need pockets. Tech shorts work well for diving wet. For diving dry, upgrade to a drysuit with pockets or get some attached.

• Get a hand-mount for your primary light. A soft Goodman handle is cheap and could work nicely. A canister primary light is bulky, but if you find a place to strap it on (behind the sliding ring?), the light head will live on your hand anyway.

• You didn't specify your computer, but if you've got a wrist-mounted model, attach a line cutter to the strap's underside. Depending on how yours is set up, you might need to change your strap system.
New ideas:
  • Ditch the safety sausage. Replace it with a small/medium DSMB and attach a locking-gate carabiner. It's great for sending up an existing line if you've got to reinforce a flopping main DSMB or lift bag, or if you need to send a note to the surface.

• Get a lift bag to replace your large DSMB. Fold it flat and stow it under your longhose's bungees.

• Could you install another low-profile D-ring on each strap below the current ones? I'm looking at photos of the WSX-25, and it looks like there's room.

A big butt pouch? These are convenient and can hold a myriad of 'stuff'. I can get two full-size SMBs and much else in mine. It clips off out of the way and is accessible when you need it.

Your instructor sounds a bundle of laughs. Sidemount is the diving definition of redundant gas. What's her preferred configuration; a clip-tastic jacket BCD with some dangly stage bottle on the front -- remember to sweep back for the regulator... Cringeworthy.

Butt pouch. Keep the shoulder d-rings clear (and you really only need one on each side), and depending on how you’re shaped and how your cylinders sit, excess gear in thigh pockets can cause the cylinders to a-frame. You’ll likely find the backup lights on the harness annoying. I’d also consider ditching the bolt snap on your corrugated house and simply running a bungee through the tri-glide eyelets.

Back
Top Bottom