Attaching Regulators to my person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Currently, I have my backup on a necklace. I would like to experiment with some different mouthpieces, partly because I do sometimes get that jaw muscle fatigue feeling after a dive. I've ordered the comfobite and the Manta-bite (which I am particularly attracted to given the reported safety features). At least for the Manta-bite, it doesn't seem like a good reg to donate. So I am thinking about putting that on the reg that's on the short hose (on the necklace currently) and using that as my primary. The question would then be how to attach the backup reg that would be on the longer hose. In my experience, I have not found any regulator attachment systems that I like (e.g., scumball etc.). Would there be anything too terribly wrong IYO about attaching the long hose of my backup to my tank with something like www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/retainers.shtml, such that the reg is sticking up over and near to my right shoulder?

Dave

The problem with coiling things up under bungees on the tank is restowing. If you never ever practice air shares, it's not a problem. I'd put the actual regulator somewhere easier to check for and reach than above my shoulder, though. The golden triangle is a fine idea if you're going to donate the reg stored on your body. If someone doesn't see a reg immediately there, they're liable to grab the one on the short hose from your mouth.. then their face is positioned above your right shoulder because of the short hose.. and their head is in the way of your octo. What do you do now?

Oh, btw, have you tried a comfo-bite? They're a little different, but not different enough to complicate air donation. Would be a better idea to leave the longer hose in your mouth with a better mouthpiece than storing it somewhere else with a normal mouthpiece.

jonnythan:
The problem with coiling things up under bungees on the tank is restowing. If you never ever practice air shares, it's not a problem. I'd put the actual regulator somewhere easier to check for and reach than above my shoulder, though. The golden triangle is a fine idea if you're going to donate the reg stored on your body. If someone doesn't see a reg immediately there, they're liable to grab the one on the short hose from your mouth.. then their face is positioned above your right shoulder because of the short hose.. and their head is in the way of your octo. What do you do now?

Yeah. I was thinking of that as a downside as well. Didn't know how easy or difficult it would be for the practic-ee to restow for me underwater. Just after I hit send button for above post, it also occured to me that maybe if I were breathing off the short hose, I could still stow the backup on the necklace since that seemed to be reasonably secure but also easily releasable with a good tug. Again, though, I haven't tried to put one of those back into the necklace once it's removed underwater. Well, it's an empirical question I suppose.

Dave

After you're done donating your backup on the long hose, just store it Hogarthian-style until you're finished with the dive.

If you're looking for a place to attach the backup second stage, you can rig it to your right chest d-ring. Just use a stretched O-ring and a bolt-snap to secure it. In an emergency, a quick tug will break the O-ring.

There has been some discussion in other threads regarding custom mouthpieces. The general argument is that because the custom moutpiece is fit to the individual, then it would be a problem for the donee to use.

Keep in mind that all the oem mouthpieces that come on regulators are just generic and are designed to "fit" the "average" oral cavity.

Some people have to put much smaller or larger generic mouthpieces on regulators for them to be usable, this, in effect, is doing the same as adding a custom bite mouthpiece.

A custom bite mouthpiece such as the Manta or Secure mouthpieces will make your diving much more enjoyable and less stressful.

I dare say that if someone is in dire need of air, he will have no major problem making the mouthpiece fit.

Keep in mind the ACTUAL number of occurrences of OOA situations in normal diving scenarios versus the probability of an OOA situation actually happening.

Buy youself one and enjoy . . .

Safe dives . . .
. . . safer ascents!!!

I'm actually inclined to agree Kraken.. maybe try out a Seacure, donate it a few times, and find out if it's an issue.

I mean, after all, all you want to do is get air to them, not take dental impressions for crowns . . .

The Kraken:
A custom bite mouthpiece such as the Manta or Secure mouthpieces will make your diving much more enjoyable and less stressful.

My understanding of the Manta-bite (which will be more than an understanding once it arrives and I try it out in person) is that it is not a custom fit mouthpiece. It just has these big-*** wing like things so that it will stay in your mouth even if you are not clenching your teeth (even if you are unconscious). To fit it into your mouth though, you have to squeeze the wings together which someone not so instructed or panicky in an OOA situation might not get quite right.

dlwalke:
To fit it into your mouth though, you have to squeeze the wings together which someone not so instructed or panicky in an OOA situation might not get quite right.

From what I understand, it's usable w/o inserting the wings, using it like a regular mouthpiece. So a donee not acustom to it may be able to use it without hesitation. However, I haven't seen one in person, so leave it up to you to check out.

Back
Top Bottom